KLH Model 5

joelongwood

Hi,

I just picked up a pair of beautiful KLH Model 5 speakers in fantastic condition.....except one tweeter is not working due to a defective non-polar dual 4 microfarad capacitor. I've searched everywhere, but can only find caps with values of 4.7 microfarads. Is a substitution possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Check out the KLH speaker page. It's got some good crossover information I uploaded that Mark was kind enough to post (e.g. photos and schematics).

I've upgraded one of these a while back for a carpenter in Vermont and he was very satisfied. I also replaced the old Electrolytic caps with metallized pp.

Carlspeak@aol.com

I just received an entire crossover network from an on-line dealer of used stereo gear. Even though it says KLH Model 5, and the back plate looks identical to my original, except for the knobs which are slightly different (they have silver inserts), the crossover itself is quite different......it has far fewer components than mine. The serial number on the back appears to make it a much newer model than my original. Was it common practice for KLH to change the crossover on the same model over a period of time?

I guess my main question is, before I go to the trouble of removing and replacing the entire crossover, is this: Will this newer crossover change the sonic signature significantly, just a bit, or will it match the original? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help so far, it's much appreciated.

Archived