KLH Model 33—does anyone remember these?

Guest russwollman

Guest russwollman

There's a pair on eBay now starting at $25, in Arlington, MA—I'd hate to start a bidding war with this message.

They're not pure air suspension designs, since they have a port. I remember being very impressed with a KLH pair some time ago—but they might have been the Model 6. The grille cloth was white and "KLH" was on the badge in substantial block letters with serifs.

Whichever it was, I recall that the sound quality was very sweet, smooth, and immediately engaging.

Does anyone know about the 33's sound and the availability of replacement woofers and other parts?

Those are the ones we mentioned on 'KLH MODEL 14' posting - this website. From the photos provided, those woofers and tweeters look the same as the model 17 and 20 and if they are, you see those drivers for sale on ebay all the time. They don't look like the later woofers with foam surrounds. They're kind of an oddball speaker for KLH, being vented. If you ask the seller for a close-up photo, you should be able to tell for sure that it has the older drivers.

Guest rickcee

If I recall ( ?? ) from mag. tests - 'smooth response in mids, bass stops at 50 hz' . . . typical of time, nothin great. that is , original Advents much better, at least at deep bass. but if they catch yer eye . . . go fer it. enjoy Rick

Guest russwollman

Now there's a pair of Model 5s on eBay, a three-way system. Any opinions, anyone? Are they oustanding? Better, perhaps, than standard Advents?

I had some AR3a's for a while. I tried hard to like them simply because they were so erudite looking and from such a respectable old New England family. But the chemistry wasn't there at all.

Or maybe the Model 6?

I suspect Advents will prove hard to beat. I've upgraded the tweeters and the crossover caps, and the sound is pretty amazing. The Martin Logans I heard at the Very Expensive Audio Salon didn't move me much.

Guest russwollman

This man had far too many speakers for a while.

He divested himself of three pairs of older ARs which failed to gain his affection, but never having owned a pair of KLHs—and eager to reclaim the sweetness of a youthful KLH memory—he sprang for a pair of the heavy and matronly Model 5, entranced by those dual midrange drivers mounted on the front baffle in that hauntingly familiar location.

Whether they will displace his ardent affection for Mr. Kloss' famed Advent Loudspeaker is a story that will unfold.

"No man can ever have enough speakers". 'Tis as true, my son, as any knowledge time will lend you. When all else is forgotten, only the sound remains.

Guest molecules

I agree: You can't have too many speakers!

(Especially if they are cheap) Apart from a few modern ones (Energy, PSB, B&W), I have EPI100V's ($6.99), Epicure 5 ($35), Design Acoustics PS-10a ($ free), KLH 17's ($20),KLH 20's ($25) Large Advents (my own from 1976),EPI M90 (free).

I almost bought a pair if KLH 38, a beautiful speaker, with the vertical stripes (which I sold in '76 to buy the Advents) and a have always wanted to replace but the asking price was $150 ! Maybe some day...

My wife can't take it. I had to give away some old Fisher's that I got with a Kenwood receiver both for $30. I also had to give away a pair of the "new" Advents which I got for $40, (but didn't like them anyway.) I wish I had more rooms.

I prefer the old speakers, more accurate bass and they take the edge off modern recordings.

Guest russwollman

Molecules, you DO have a lot of speakers.

What is behind this? You also have a wife, who I hope also does some speaking. I won't push you on that issue, though I do hope it's happy for both of you. I don't have a wife, but I do have the sweet Advent sound in the three rooms I live in.

I like the old speakers, too. The substance of a walnut-clad big box lends something to a room, some stability, some permanence, perhaps. Whenever I move into a new dwelling, usually the very first thing I do is—you guessed it—get the music up and running.

I also have an old car—a '65 Lincoln Continental convertible, which has a sweetness of line and style conspicuously absent from modern cars. I'm not so big on many aspects of modern life. Unfortunately, in the century I'd choose to go back to, there was no hi-fi.

Okay, just the ones that might be respected on this forum......

The "New" Advent Loudspeaker (Stephie's bedroom)

KLH Model 6's (Tiffany's bedroom)

ADC 303ax (on my desk at work)

Electro-Voice "Marquis" (LARGE speakers in my garage rig)

AR-9 (my half-ass two channel HT rig)

Carver Amazing Platinum Mk. IV's (my stereo only He-Man rig)

Those are all in use. What I have just laying around is.....

ADS-L730

AR-78LS

AR-18bx

AR-18bxi

KLH Model 24

Altec-Lansing Model 85

BIC Venturi V-52s

Polk RT-5

Paradigm 7

Jamo 60

E-V Model 7

B&W DM-550

RA Labs Mini-Reference

Dynaco A-25

Bose 301's and 141's (out in the garage so they won't mingle with decent speakers)

Radio Shack Minimus 7's (about 5 of these around here)

There are a lot more speakers in this house, but some I haven't seen in awhile. Always a pleasant surprise when I stumble onto them.

The wife? She gets a say alright. If her "say" is a complaint, I remind her that I could be out drinking with the boys or watching sports all day at the bars. She is QUITE understanding, as she knows where I am, and what I'm doing most of the time.

I'd be happy to sell off some of the speakers that are sitting idle, if someone wants to get them by local pick-up. I'm in South Jersey.

Guest molecules

The ones you have sitting around are better than just about any house you visit !

I am scared to ask what century Russ prefers, but I like this one only because the medicine is better.

Guest russwollman

Well, 'cules, I think it would have been nice to be in Europe for the Renaissance...perhaps also during the time of Beethoven and Mozart. Sure, it wasn't perfect then either, but sometimes I wonder what the air smelled like and how the water tasted, and with the absence of motors, how the world sounded..and it would be something to hear the sounds of what we now call classical music in its original form.

Actually, medicine was at its best during the time of the Vedic culture of India. Then, the doctors were paid only when the people were well!

Guest molecules

I agree, it would be great to smell what the air was like, and see how clear the ocean water was. It would be cool to see what the sphinx really looked like.

On the other hand, we would probably be hanged as heretics for telling exotic tales of air suspension speakers.

Guest molecules

I just found a pair of EV-7's at a tag sale for $5.00 ! The cabinets needed a little polishing, but the drivers inside look and work perfectly. They have a cool old look to them and they sound

I have a room with wood paneled walls that I people give me a hard time about. These go perfectly in it. pretty good too. The paper instructions on the back is mostly torn.

Do you know much about them ? I see there is a review in High

Fidelity April 66.

Guest russwollman

Sorry, I can' t help with knowledge of those speakers.

But I did want to mention that I went back in time today.

I heard the local symphony perform Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony, a Wagner overture, Rhapsody in Blue, and—the best of all—Piano Concerto #1 by Sophia Pavlenko, a lovely 23-year-old Ukranian composer and pianist carrying on the great Russian tradition in her own idiom. The sound was wonderful.

The upshot is, are any speakers which come close to a live performance? My double Advent system is powerful and puts out a lot of sound, but compared to a live performance...no way.

AR used to do live vs recorded demonstrations that left people quite convinced of their product.

Archived