KLH 17 vs. KLH 6

Hello, i was wondering why the model six was a bettter speaker then the model seventeen? the model six is going for $100+ while the seventeen about $50-$60, are the drivers the same? what the differnce between them? Thanks

• 1 month later...

The KLH-6 used a different woofer, I think, from the KLH-17. The woofer had a heavier magnet as well as more overhang in the voice coil for larger excursions. The Model 6, with its larger cabinet and lower resonance, could go about 1/3 octave lower in bass with lower distortion than the otherwise excellent low-end in the KLH-17 which, incidentally was designed to compete with the immensely successful and top-rated Acoustic Research AR-4x. It was not as good a speaker as the AR-4x, but could go deeper in bass.

As for the Model 6, it costs more to make the larger cabinet, and the driver differences cost slightly more, as well. There was also probably more profit in the Model 6 at its price point vs. the more competitive market of the KLH-17, the latter probably a loss-leader having to compete with the AR-4x. KLH needed to go the extra mile with the 17 to make it go slightly deeper in bass than the AR-4 and AR-4x.

"I wouldn't mind seeing you espouse a little more often Mr. Tyson."

Thank you. I definitely will watch this forum more carefully and try to weigh in when appropriate. I have known about this site for quite some time, but got so busy in the last year or so that I didn't read the columns carefully. There is some very good information floating around here, and I think I can add a little to some of it.

--Tom Tyson

Archived