KLH model 24 and model 32 speakers

Guest Droog

• 4 weeks later...

I just got finished researching the Model 24's for myself. Just picked up a pair in a thrift shop for $2.50. Sonically a ten, cosmetically a seven or eight. Second time in my career I paid only $2.50 for something really special. Anyhow, it seems the 24 was part of a 12wpc system manufactured from 1968-1972. Also, it appears there was a Model 24, and a Model 24 Series II. I have a collection of Audio magazine that goes way back. I recently saw an ad for the Model 24 SYSTEM. They showed a back view of the speakers. It was clearly marked Model 24 Series II, and input was by way of RCA plug. The ones I just purchased simply say Model 24, and have standard KLH amp input terminals (with the knurled nut things, albeit a little smaller here).

The 32 was a great little speaker, manufactured from 1971-1975, they retailed for $140/pair.

The other good deal I got for $2.50? In August 1968, I saw Jimi Hendrix for $2.50. The warm-up bands were The Soft Machine, The Chambers Bros., Janis Joplin w/Big Brother & the Holding Co. $2.50!! You can't get a cup of water for $2.50 at a concert today.

Toasted Almond

Guest Droog

Thanks for the info, an hour ago I found my second set of #24's, $5.00, condition= 9+ the lady at the Antique/junk shop wanted give them to me but I insisted on giving her the $5. These are the earier type with screw terminals. Of interest, they have a 1/2" solid walnut border around the grill cloth and have KLH badges. My others must be the serious II you mentioned, have RCA plugs, no badges and no solid wood border. These are very nice sounding speakers, all four are hooked up to my 1972 Dynaco four dimentional amplifier.

Concert prices sure did go up fast, I paid $15 to see Led Zeppelin in 1975, but was worth the price!

Do you know anything about a KlH with only one 4" full range speaker, cabinet is 14" x 8" x 41/2" walnut veneer, badge reads 'KLH Cambridge Massachusetts' ?

Thanks again,, Droog

Droog,

That sounds like it might be an add on speaker for the KLH table radio.

You listening to a Dynaco SCA-80Q with the rear channel action? I stuck one of those in my daughters room, driving a pair of KLH 17's. As soon as I get around to it, the little 24's will be her surround channels. That Dynaco is a cool piece. I crack up when I think about all the kids losing their nut today over "home theater". Find an old piece like the Dynaco or an old Fisher tube receiver, and the damn things have center AND rear channel capability. 30-40yrs ago. The kids don't like it when you tell them that. Try it, it's fun!

Toasted Almond

• 5 months later...

I bought a pair of model 11s last week. Single speaker in each, a solid walnut 1/2" border around the front, abut no nameplates. Nice sounding at low watts. Could they have come with the model 24 turntable?

Archived