AR3a crossover and pots repair

Guest Danlaet

Guest Danlaet

Hi !

I come back with my AR3(a) speakers.

If you don't remenber the story, you can see this post that explain it : http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/dcbo...id=13505&page=3

So I just received a pair of AR3a crossovers. But I already have a problem : a pot is tired. Please take a look at the picture :

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/2666.jpg

Do you see what I mean ? The wire is cut... Do you think there is something to do ? Must I find an other pot ?

About the coils : I don't know if I have good value on woofer coil, don't know if these crossovers come from alnico woofer or not AR3a.

Thanks !

Daniel

post-102567-1189071231.jpg

Guest Danlaet

I think the pot is now ok.

Just stay the coil : how can I know its value (1.88 mH (#7 inductor) or 2.85 mH (#9 inductor)) ? There is no indication on the coils.

Thanks.

Daniel

post-102567-1189172045.jpg

Guest Danlaet

Ok, thanks.

So you want to say that the big capacitors are original ones ?

I find nowhere 1.88 mH coils, do you think that 1.82 mH ones could be ok ? I don't think so, but...

>So you want to say that the big capacitors are original ones?

Yes...

As for the woofer inductor, 1.82mh is probably close enough, although I would prefer to stray on the high side of that one. If you have 2 boards with the 2.85mh coil, I would try them. In my opinion, the alnico magnet woofer works well with the #9 coil.

Roy

Guest Danlaet

> In my opinion, the alnico magnet woofer works well with the #9 coil.

Ok, so I will try whith the 2.85 mH coils.

I think I have to change all the capacitors, even if the 150 µF ones are hard to find.

Daniel

Guest Danlaet

> How did you repair the pot?

Hi Vern,

I don't know if it really works, but hope so.

I've just unwind one turn of wire, and glue in contact whith the border of the... the... don't know the word, the "brass disc ??? ", do you know what I want to say ?

Then I obtain 15 ohms. I hope it really works, will try it only when the croosovers will be in the AR3a.

Daniel

Archived