amplifiers to drive classic AR9 speakers

Guest Nigel

Guest Nigel

I would like to hear from people who own or have owned classic AR9 speakers about the amplifier(s) they use(d) to drive them.

Thank you

Nigel

I'm using AR9x series loudspeakers with SAE power amps.

Currently my AR9 are driven by a pair (passive bi-amping) of SAE 2400L (about same age : 20 + years old). The combination is perfect for me either in HiFi or in Home theater set-up.

One (or 2) of these amps might be replaced by other SAE amps that I have just spotted near Paris : 2600, A502, A1001 or P250

Jean-Patrick from France

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nigel

After a little bit (not enough) research, a pair of Adcom GFA 5802 stereo amplifiers, or four Adcom GFA 565 mono-blocks, are my leading candidates.

http://www.adcom.com/main/specifications.h...temgfa_5802.htm

The 565s have similar ratings.

Part of these choices are the live vs AR11 listening demos where 1000 watt amplifiers were used. There are also papers by Dr Bose on the instantaneous amount of power required to reproduce a pin drop, and my own experience on going from 55W per to 100W per on a pair of much more efficient speakers. I was amazed at the difference, especially at lower listening levels.

Comments please.

Thank you

Nigel

I've been using a pair of Adcom GFA-555II amplifiers (vertical alignment, with each stereo amp powering a single AR-9) using the internal crossover, with an Audio Control EQ adjusting the low frequency response of each 9. I'm very pleased with the result, and I'd say that my current pair of 9's (rebuilt and re-finished three years ago, with re-foamed woofers and replacement 8" drivers) sounds better than the original pair that I owned in 1979 (McIntosh-powered).

Guest Sean

I have tried quite a few amplifiers with my AR 9's with various levels of success. First of all, these speakers are VERY thirsty as you know. As such, you need a BRUTE(s) to do the job correctly. I was using a Perreaux PMF 2150B for the top end ( 400+ wpc @ 4 ohms ) with a Perreaux PMF 3150B ( 5 - 600 wpc @ 4 ohms ) for the bottom end. Believe it or not, i could still drive the amps into compression when really trying to crank it up. I have since switched to a Sunfire Signature ( 1200 wpc @ 4 ohms ) running full range with great success. While the Signature sound far more open and detailed and never seems to run out of steam, the bottom end is lighter and lacks the impact that the 3150 used to deliver. While the bass with the Signature is very clean and tight, it just doesn't deliver the massive "oomph" that i was accustomed to with the 3150 "hitting" the 9's. Then again, i have not personally run across an amp that can beat the 3150 for sheer "slam", regardless of power rating. Then again, i have not toyed with my SAE 2600 ( 600 wpc @ 4 ohms ) in quite some time. It may be able to come close but i'm not holding my breath

While i have not tried it with my 9's or 90's, i do own a smaller Sunfire amp ( 600 wpc @ 4 ohms ). Given its' very efficient power supply design, it might be able to do a pretty solid job. I would think that running either two Sunfire Signature's in a biamped mode ( giving you 2400 wpc @ 4 ohms ) or running a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature ( 5 channels with 800 wpc @ 4 ohms ) in a biamped mode (1600 wpc @ 4 ) would be quite awesome.

Depending on what kind of SPL levels that your trying to reproduce, what kind of music you listen to and how big the room is, my suggestions may be WAY overkill for you. If you like, i can try hooking up my standard Sunfire and see how she does. Another amp that you may want to consider if things are "tight" ( depending on your budget ) would be a Yamaha M-80. This was a pretty decent mass produced amp that i have had luck with when trying to drive low impedance / low sensitivity speakers for some folks that were budget conscience. While the price has gone up on these due to demand, they can still be had for well under $400 in most cases. My personal opinion is that they are MUCH better sounding than any of the Adcom's that i've owned or listened to ( 555's, 5800's, etc..). The 5802 "might" do what you want, but i'm not directly familiar with that model. Once again though, this is strictly my personal taste and a lot has to do with system synergy. Sean

>

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nigel

At the present I have my AR9s in a small room, driven by a ca.1977 Onkyo TX-8500 receiver. The TX-8500 has dual power supplies, and is rated 105W into 8ohms, and probably is capable of more than 150 into 4 continuous.

In the small room, this combination provides beautiful sound. A musician friend of mine was very impressed. He ran out while we were listening, and came back with some of his favorite recordings to listen to. He'd like a pair of AR9 speakers too.

In our next house, I'll have a larger room, and get more power.

Nigel

• 5 months later...

I have yet to find an amplifier that could handle the AR-9's.

I had two Adcom 450 watt cubes that worked pretty well till they shorted out and almost cought on fire before the plug could be pulled.

To me these speakers killed amps ,,,not the other way around.

Always thought of using a Crown 2400,, but could not lay out that much quid$

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Barrydor

I used a single David Hafler 200 for awhile and then two of them in vertical biamp config for many years with great success. Warm sound, good bass control and no meltdowns. Also used a DH-500 for awhile; in my opinion, the 200's sounded better.

I recently rebuilt one of my DH-200's using the Musical Concepts PA-3 kit. This entailed new boards, 4 new filter caps in a dual mono power supply config with high speed fast recovery bridges and a 700W toroidal power transformer. While I was at it, I installed 12 Exicon MOSFETs (added an extra 4) to replace the obsolete Hitachi's.

If you are looking for an amp to drive AR9's really well, this route is highly recommended. If you don't have a DH-200, in my opinion, it is worth buying a broken one on E-bay for $50 or so for the case & heatsinks to do the mods.

Check out http://www.musicalconcepts.com/

Barry

barrydor- You have a setup I think would really sound " classic ". I'd love to hear that setup! Not on the same level but I once hooked up some Advents to old Marantz amps and the sound brought me back 30 years. Made the hair stand up on the back of my neck! I am not sure what that sound was but it is something I just don't hear in todays setups at any price.

Guest Barrydor

You have a setup I think would really sound " classic ".

>> Thanks for the compliment. Yes it does sound classic, it's the sound I've always liked

I'd love to hear that setup!

>> If you're ever in SW Fla, stop by

I am not sure what that sound was but it is something I just don't hear in todays setups at any price.

>> I agree- there is some great stuff out there today. If I thought any of it would improve what I am using, I would happily buy it

Archived