Mystery AR speakers

Guest ARn00b

Guest ARn00b

Hi, I have a pair of AR bookshelf speakers that don't seem to have a Model number, just the serial number and the words "red book improved" where the model number should be.

I bought these speakers from a friend a few years ago but never used them. I want to sell the pair but without knowing the specs it's going to be kinda hard lol. Any help I could get identifying the model number would be greatly appreciated.

post-102660-1188119044.jpg

post-3-1188119044.jpg

Guest ARn00b

sorry, it actualy reads "red box improved". The serial numbers on both speakers starts with GW followed by a 6 digit sequential number.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Certainly you're joking, correct?

With all due respects, these types of speakers really don't measure up to the 'classics' discussed on this site.

Do yourself a favor and 'get-in-to' the real 'meat' here, if you haven't already, buy vintage and never care about today's stuff, yesterday's is so much richer and better than anything around, except meg-buck stuff!

Again all respects to you, but I hear this kind of stuff on most amateur sites, everyone is seeking respect for $100. speakers and low-end sh-t and that just doesn't cut it in the decade two thousand! Understand that here on this special site it's all about vintage 1954 to 1980 stuff. No city can ever compare to Rome, and that's where vintage AR's reside, except they're here in America! Research the European or Asian hi-fi market,(why do you think AR went to England to peddle thier wares?) they appreciate this old American stuff and only after the fact, althought they've tried very hard to emulate it, and also love vintage AR stuff, for good reasons and with a strong passion for it. Look at these peeps sites and you will see why these intelligent nation's peeps are buying-out old American equipment.

Read this wonderful CSP site through and buy vintage and then approach these members here, they're all willing to help, but not wih mid '80s or later garbage. An example would be to compare my 1973 Buick Riviera's to anything produced after that, there's no such commom ground on which to speak of except a extremely high priced auto, and then it couldn't do everything the Riv can do. America has taken a 'back-step' with producing quality items, except armaments and the military's and heavy-construction equipment or very high priced stereo stuff. Members here dwell in a very special 'old-place' and for great reasons will not give into the new grap. Most affordable stereo stuff is garbage, period! So, get with the program and love the musical 'old stuff'- for you own head-space,and with estabished good reasons, if nothing else.

Respectfully, Frank Marsi

P.S. Please don't take insult, just get in to better vintage gear. I'm easy to speak with, but I take exception when the 'water is dirty'.

FM

P.S. If you're already into old ARs, my statement's retraction is due to you. Keep-on listening!

Guest ARn00b

joking? well actually no... I ask only because there is so little info regarding pre Audiovox serial numbers available on the net.

The speakers were bought on impulse 6 years ago but I never got around to using them until recently. The speakers were sold to me as above average quality by a friend I had no reason to doubt. I just didn't want to present them to a potential buyer as being more than they actualy are. If you catch my drift.

I have played guitar for over 20 years so I can understand the true value of vintage gear. No amp modeler is ever going to come close to the sound of my Marshall Plexi.

PS.I realise that you aren't trolling mate :-)

Archived