Loose Cloth Surround on AR-3A

Charles218

On several occasions in the past couple of months I have heard a strange sound coming from one of my speakers. I removed the grill this morning to discover that the cloth surround has come unglued from the basket. How do I proceed to remedy this? Do I need to just apply some glue or are there other steps that I should take? What kind of glue should I use?

>What kind of glue should I

>use?

Parts Express sells a small tube of white glue (Latex, I believe) that is sold for attaching foam surrounds. I have used it to attach a loose cloth surround. One can lift the loose edge carefully with a thin blade or toothpick and work a drop or two under the loose area with another toothpick or something like an exacto knife or scalpel, then clamp it until it dries. Paper clamps (springy black with wire handles) from an office supply store are handy for that job. As you are likely aware, it is best not to use the driver until it is repaired. Without the air suspension the voice coil could bottom and cause serious damage.

Cheers,

If your surround is only partially unglued you probably won't have to concern yourself with voice coil alignment.

If it's completely unglued around the entire periphery, then you'll need to check for VC rubbing after you apply all the glue and secure the surround's edge to the frame. The white glue dries slowly, so if you hear rubbing when you gently push down on the center of the dust cap you can take action to separate the surround from the frame and attempt another centering before clamping.

Agree with John O's suggestion about laying the speaker on its back if it's still in the cabinet. This will also help the spider keep the VC centered in the air gap.

Suggest you also check the other woofer for the same problem you raised.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

John & Carl,

I appreciate your input on this and will proceed with the repairs. Fortunately only about one half of the ring is loose so the unit has stayed in position. I have glue left over from a foam surround project, on my Dalhquist, that I purchased from Simply Speakers.

Charles

Archived