Rebuilding The AR-1?

ar_pro

>There's a current auction for Speaker Builder magazine that

>features "Rebuilding The AR-1".

>Does anyone have knowledge of this article?

>

>

This article was basically a "build-a-better-AR-1" approach, and although the article was very flattering of the AR acoustic-suspension woofer system, the changes made by the author to the system might have resulted in degraded, rather than improved, performance. It was well documented with had some good points, and the article was certainly interesting; but I would doubt that (without proper measurements to substantiate the modifications) the project was more than a bit hobbyist and unscientific. It is certainly worth reading.

--Tom Tyson

>>There's a current auction for Speaker Builder magazine

>that

>>features "Rebuilding The AR-1".

>>Does anyone have knowledge of this article?

>>

>>

>

>This article was basically a "build-a-better-AR-1"

>approach, and although the article was very flattering of the

>AR acoustic-suspension woofer system, the changes made by the

>author to the system might have resulted in degraded, rather

>than improved, performance. It was well documented with had

>some good points, and the article was certainly interesting;

>but I would doubt that (without proper measurements to

>substantiate the modifications) the project was more than a

>bit hobbyist and unscientific. It is certainly worth

>reading.

>

>--Tom Tyson

>

Hi Tom;

The article from Speaker Builder 1982 issue 2 is, "The AR-1 Rejuvenated", a 4 page AR 12" model 200003 woofer modification article.

I found no other references to this article in any of the other 3 issues, 1, 3 or 4.

In my opinion, it was well written.

My guess as to why it is called AR-1 is, maybe the AR-1W was not available at that time.

Certainly no indication it was an AR-1 that I can find.

One photo looks like an AR-3 enclosure with the mid and tweeter openings patched closed.

There was also no mention of the crossover in the enclosure.

There was no mention of the Western Electric/Altec 8" tweeter at all, not even a photo.

It reads as an attempt to improve an already great woofer for use with electrostatic mid/high drivers.

Several mods, not reversible, are done to the woofers cone, and under the dust dome.

After seeing a comment about how much stuffing to add, about 20 ounces, I remember your comment about proper measurements and scientific evidence.

At the end of the article there is a test setup to find the system resonance.

You would require use of a few pieces of non-hobbiest test gear.

It would be trial and error, if not at the desired point is found.

You are correct, Tom, makes for some very interesting reading.

This is the first mention I have ever read about the mod.

Not once have I read a further comment from another experimenter having successfully completed this mod.

It would have been nice for this mod to have come out when AR could have taken a look at it for their consideration.

• 5 years later...

Hello everyone. I would like your help or advice. I have had a pair of AR 1's now for a couple years now. Every now and then I switch them out just to listen. This weekend I noticed one of the mid/tweeter drivers isn't working as good as the other. Checked everything and narrowed it down to what I think are the oil filled caps are not up to par. The originals are 3 Aerovox 8mfd 600vdc. with 50+ year old rubber bands still on it. I haven't been able to find any info or forums on wiring diagrams or total capacitance values. Any help or info with my dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

Archived