pots question

Guest speedracer

Hi Speedracer:

The white dot setting is not the pot midpoint. If you examine the backside of the crossover board, you may find an indentation in the Masonite for the pot "tab" that remained after the locking nut was tightened. When replacing, put the tab back in that indentation. If the original position was lost, one can look in the Archives under early AR, then under AR-3a for an annotated crossover circuit. There are two or three crossover drawings; one of them states the correct resistance value between terminals 1 and B for the mid, and for the tweet. The mid and tweet settings do not have the same resistance.

Cheers,

>If 12:00 is "norm' should there be equal

>"travel" on the "pot" between the decrease

>side and increase side ?

Attached are 2 photos of the AR-3a pot settings...The first shows the positions at full "increase", and the second at full "decrease".

Note that it is different for the mid and tweeter, and that neither have equal travel between the "optimal dot" and full on or off.

If l-pads are used to replace the potentiometers, the optimal positions will change as well.

Roy

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/2610.jpg

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/2611.jpg

post-101150-1187407751.jpg

post-3-1187407751.jpg

Guest speedracer

Thanks for the help, I have #a's also and the person I bought them from said he had "fixed" the pots so I was wondering why there was so much "play" in them. Thanks again.

Hi again;

I only mentioned that tip because of your, "lots of play comment".

If the nuts are, what you consider adequately tight, then leave them alone and accept that is normal tolerance play.

The pots are not easily turned in the panel if the nuts are loose, as there is wires soldered inside the enclosure that should prevent that happening.

Guest speedracer

Sorry, I guess what I meant was the pots seemed to "spin" more to one side than another ??? So I thought I figured they were "off" centered.

>Got it, thanks. I've never opened one these, woofer comes out

>and some / all of the "stuffing" and there it shall

>be ?

Yes, but getting into these beasts can be a pain in the buns.

If you have an earlier version, it may require some patience and prying to free the woofer of the putty gasket. Once inside, you may find chunks of nasty rockwool. It should be saved in separate bags to insure that the appropriate amount gets returned into each cabinet (assuming the proper amount was returned to the cabinets the last time they were opened). Later versions use more friendly foam gaskets and yellow fiberglass. It is best to handle the stuffing outdoors.

The pots are held in place by the nuts on the outside of the cabinet.

The crossover wires have very little play, making it difficult to remove and manipulate the pots. If necessary, removing the cabinet terminal screws will make it easier.

Roy

Archived