AR 14 1" Tweeters

Guest gramercyjam

Guest gramercyjam

New guy here. I have some AR 14's I am restoring and it turns out the tweeters are open. Too bad I found out _after_ I refoamed the woofers. :(

They aren't in too bad shape really so I suppose I will repair or replace the tweeters. I found a website (www.abtechservices.com)that lists AR classic 1" tweeters for sale for $41.25 each. Should I go ahead and get these or try to fix mine or does anyone have some for sale?

I managed to dissect one of mine without destroying it. It seems that the coils are OK according to my VOM but the leads to them have a break in them where they are glued to the dome so with some luck and a steady hand I might be able to fix the original tweeters.

They speakers were given to me by a friend years ago - in the original boxes yet - but the foam had already disintegrated and someone had tried to repair them with electrical tape! Everytime I talk to him he asks if I fixed them yet.

John

Hi John;

Generally you cannot repair the tweeters, but if you are so inclined and have the time, by all means try whatever you wish.

If they are DOA at present, you really have very little to lose except time.

A more reasonable source, maybe, is eBay for used tweeters.

Use caution as always in buying but they will be original models not the current new replacement, not necessarily exactly the same specs.

More advice will come, as soon as members read your topic.

John -

Don't give-up on them.

I think I may have a spare pair of 14 tweeters (I know I have a pair, I just don't know that they are "spare.") I'll have to go digging and it might take a week or so. Let me know if you want me to dig.

Bret

Archived