Which caps for AR4X's?

Guest orionkc

20 hours ago, bmz said:

I am planning to do a recap of my ar4x using mundorfs m supreme. Their closest value is 22uf 250v. Thinking this  cap is expensive, it should sound good and probably better than most. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks. 

Mundorf Supreme Film Capacitors are excellent. You could go with two 10uf Mundorf Supreme  wired in parallel to give you exactly 20uf. My 4x's have Dayton 20uf capacitors and sound excellent. Probably about Fifteen dollars for both. Would the Mundorfs sound that much better. I don't know.  I have Jantzen Z-Superior caps on the tweeters on some AR3a's. You could also go with two of them in parallel for Fifty dollars less than the Supremes. 

CpNtJvT.jpg

On 3/21/2020 at 6:30 PM, bmz said:

....a recap of my ar-4x using mundorfs m supreme. Their closest value is 22uf 250v.

The 4x speaker will typically show noticeable improvement after a re-cap, particularly if the original caps were the large wax block type, but the replacement caps need not be anything too exotic. One thing to be aware of with the 4x is that it uses a cap value (20uF) which is  abnormally  large for a tweeter circuit. The Daytons that Larry mentioned will work fine. Mundorf makes a wide variety of excellent and suitable capacitors in many price ranges, but it is unclear which model of Mundorf cap you are considering.

The Mundorf MCap Classic has a white body and is available at 250V and 400V for a 22uF cap value, with the 250V version having 29x44 mm dimensions. Many restorers like these for crossovers, even if they are slightly more costly than more common brands of poly caps. The Mundorf MCap Supreme Classic has a black body, but I think is only available at 600V for 22uF cap value. This cap is very large with dimensions of 50x106 mm (2" dia by 4" length) and will be rather expensive.  

If you do proceed with this re-cap project, do not forget to inspect and diagnose the tweeter pot controls - - these will certainly require careful maintenance or full replacement if you wish to get the most out of your restored classic speakers. During this process, take a few moments to closely inspect the drivers, too.