Manuals to be pulled from e-bay

Guest matty g

Guest matty g

Although this is not exactly a speaker related issue, I have just been informed that e-bay will no longer be allowing copies of service manuals to be sold on their site. As my AR's are driven with "vintage" equipment that is pushing 30+ years old, this is very bad news. Audioshack and Techman have been of great help in the past, and although the Marantz corp. that created that equipment has long been gone, e-bay feels these manuals should not be sold.

Now what?

Matt

>Although this is not exactly a speaker related issue, I have

>just been informed that e-bay will no longer be allowing

>copies of service manuals to be sold on their site. As my AR's

>are driven with "vintage" equipment that is pushing

>30+ years old, this is very bad news. Audioshack and Techman

>have been of great help in the past, and although the Marantz

>corp. that created that equipment has long been gone, e-bay

>feels these manuals should not be sold.

>Now what?

>Matt

Perhaps ebay was getting concerned about copyright infringement?

Anyhow, do a google search for what you're looking for. There are some sites that specialize in audio manuals which are not affiliated with ebay.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Hi Matt;

Sorry that you have used this type of service and are about to lose it, Matt.

It has been a wonder to me how so much pirating and counterfeiting has been allowed for so long, though.

I have need of discontinued manuals as well.

Does anyone have the right to just make copies and sell them when the original copyright holder may still be in business or do copyrights expire.

I am surprised that some companies have not gone after copiers sooner.

It seems a number of people have crossed a fine line to make money.

Just imagine if you owned a pair of AR-3 speakers and someone whittled out of sheet brass the, "3", logo and placed them up for sale.

Or even the, "a", logo from AR-2 series of speakers.

I just noticed, newly manufactured AR-3A logos for sale in Australia.

What value does the original item have and can we tell the difference after a while.

I am in favour of posting a manual in it's entirety but not for a cost or profit but to perpetuate the data.

I am not in favour of a seller using the manufacturers name as a drawing card to that item for sale, without using, "copy" or such with it.

Guest matty g

Hi -

I have just been informed that these guys will be selling vintage manuals outside of the e-bay realm, so a bullet has been dodged.

With respect to the copywright infringement issue, I agree that it would be wrong if the company still had the rights to the material. However, this service is totally above board, and the rights to the information before 1980 is owned by nobody. Bill S. is very careful and researches everything before he makes copies available... otherwise he would have major legal trouble. This is e-bay making their own rules, but as Bill said "It's their game and they make the rules".

Matt

>I just noticed, newly manufactured AR-3A logos for sale in

>Australia.

>

>What value does the original item have and can we tell the

>difference after a while.

Vern - Replica parts are used in classic autos all the time - Ford is no longer manufacturing parts for the '57 Thunderbird - why shouldn't a business be able to fill this void, and make a profit doing so? And many automobile appraisers make a nice living from telling the difference between original and repro!

I have a lot of problems with "copyright holders" who have no interest or intent in maintaining their "property". The Internet has made possible the greatest release of arcane, esoteric, and neglected, but USEFUL information in the history of the world, and it's a Golden Age for the people who need & want this information.

There is a huge practical difference between making "replica" information available, and infringing on active copyright - does anyone here really believe that whatever entity currently owns the copyright on Dynaco equipment manuals is being harmed by the guy who has scanned hundreds of pages, burned them to CD, and placed them for sale on eBay?

The Dynaco copyright holder either has no interest in realizing a profit from making this material available, or understands that a profit would most likely never be realized, given the scale of economics involved. In reality, it's possible that they don't even know that they hold the copyright!

Now bear in mind - there is ABSOLUTELY no real difference between non-copyright holders who charge for information from those who make it available for free - THEY HAVE NO LEGAL RIGHT TO DO EITHER, and are bothin violation of current copyright law.

The fact that you can forgive the altruistic "pirate" should tell you that there's a flaw in your logic, and that only the inclusion of "profit" is keeping you from wanting all information to be free.

My hunch is that this will be the standard ethos in 20 years, and the current notion of "pirate" or "bootlegger" will seem quaint.

Hi there;

My interest is in access of old information.

My thoughts were more in line with our local public library system which is vast, yet not complete.

I made a recent inquiry regarding some back issues of Audio Magazine from the mid '60's.

I was expecting micro-fiche.

I was told there is no information at our libraries on monthlies pre 1970.

Hi Carl;

Thank you for the 2 links.

I was not aware that pre '80 magazines were open for grabs.

I still can't think of a better source of records than a public library, consistant at least.

I guess I am just a dreamer.

Also on a sad note, it now appears that USPS will not be shipping Parcel Post Economy.

That is how I have had my under 40 pound AR speakers delivered to me.

Airmail is the USPS shipping method now, weight limit, I do not know yet.

USPS has been my carrier of choice, everything has arrived in great condition.

It appears that UPS and Fedex are my carriers now.

Hi there;

When I mentioned that we, here in Canada for one country, UPS and Fedex charge a fee of about $28.00 CDN per invoice for a consumer shipment.

With the USPS, at least coming into Canada, there may have been a $5.00 CDN service fee if there was applicable GST and PST added to the shipment.

Unless I am mistaken, there will be a lot less larger parcels coming north, off ebay at least.

My AR-2's that were destroyed, were not shipped via USPS, as I have previously mentioned, at least.

USPS seemed to really take really good care of their shipments.

There is a number of other carriers, you can guess, I will not tell you which one.

I assume that our postal system in Canada is not far behind in privatization of larger package handling.

Hi there;

Heathkit has been gone for a few years now.

Locally an ex-Heathkit employee salvaged all the manuals when they were thrown out into their dumpster.

My only attempt to obtain a manual from him was met with contempt.

On a much better note, because I had promised someone here to send a copy of a Heath AS-103 manual, which I have mis-placed, I ordered another copy from:

http://www.w7fg.com/manual.txt

The very pleasant contact person there is, Mindy.

I do not know if any of our public libraries in either country have such a manual, around the 1970 time period.

Archived