AR-11 project?

Guest daveshel

Guest daveshel

I have a chance to get a pair of AR-11 speakers for cheap. The serial numbers are 22xxx and the badge says Teledyne AR-11. The surrounds are wasted but the cabinets are in pretty good shape.

I'm not familiar with this model. They look like an updated AR3, but I wonder how well respected they were. If I decide to get them, does anybody have any advice as to the best source for surrounds or other repair tips?

Guest hilltroll67

I haven't heard AR11s, but the specs are good according to the info in the CSP library. If you decide not to tackle the project, I'm game.

Bob

>>I have a chance to get a pair of AR-11 speakers for cheap …, but I wonder how well respected they were. If I decide to get them, does anybody have any advice as to the best source for surrounds or other repair tips?<<

Dave,

Look in the Classic Speaker Pages Library at the literature for the AR-11. It is a mid-70’s update of the AR-3 / AR-3a.

Do a search on this forum for “AR-11.” Some of us, including myself, have written extensively about the AR-11. Refoaming, (new surrounds) new caps, cabinet refinishing, etc. are all covered. I’ve done my own refoaming with surrounds from Parts Express and have always been very satisfied with the results.

IMHO, the AR-11 was and still is a great AR speaker.

Rich

The AR-11 was introduced in March of 1975 as part of the first wave of the Advanced Development Division (ADD) product family, along with the 10 Pi and the MST/1.

The 11 was essentially a refinement of the basic 3a design—a bookshelf-sized 3-way speaker, utilizing the 3a’s 12-inch woofer and 1½” dome midrange. However, the 11 (along with the 10 Pi) employed AR’s first incarnation of the ferro fluid-cooled ¾” dome tweeter. The use of ferro fluid in the tweeter’s voice-coil gap greatly increased the power handling of the tweeter, allowing the crossover to be redesigned with a greater voltage drive to the HF section. This resulted in much greater HF output from the 11 and 10 PI compared to the 3a, and completely resolved the “not enough highs” complaint that was common to the older speakers. Importantly, the 11 retained the smooth, uncolored, low-distortion character of the 3a.

The 11’s cosmetics were significantly upgraded as well, although the degree of “improvement” is certainly open to question and remains a matter of personal taste.

The ADD products were marketed as a limited-distribution line of goods, where AR was attempting to correct their years of dealer neglect and re-establish a measure of dealer profitability (and hence, dealer loyalty). This strategy was not entirely successful however, as the combination of a decade of ‘dealer-be-dam*ed’ sales/marketing policies coupled with the rapidly-changing 1970’s consumer electronics marketplace meant that AR was not able to reclaim their previous leadership status with the ADD line.

Considered solely as a product, however, the AR-11 was a terrific speaker. Many experienced AR aficionados—myself included—feel that the 11 combined the 3a’s best acoustic qualities (great deep bass and smooth, natural, widely-dispersed midrange) in a good-looking, more modern speaker with truly excellent, no-excuses high-frequency response.

Highly recommended.

Steve F.

Guest hilltroll67

>Now I want a pair.

>Matt

>

>

>

>

Yep, me too. I suspect that the OP is not going to pass on the details of this potential transaction to me.

Bob

Guest daveshel

>Yep, me too. I suspect that the OP is not going to pass on the

>details of this potential transaction to me.

>

>Bob

It's a little premature for details. I haven't had any offers as of yet!

Guest hilltroll67

>>Yep, me too. I suspect that the OP is not going to pass

>on the

>>details of this potential transaction to me.

>>

>>Bob

>

>It's a little premature for details. I haven't had any offers

>as of yet!

You started this thread wondering if you should buy the speakers. Now you want to sell them already? Jeez.

Bob

Archived