Difference between AR 3 and AR 5 Mid's

Guest watson

Guest watson

Is there a difference between the AR5 and AR3 mids? I need an AR3 but may be able to get a AR5 to replace it. They look the same but I know looks can be deceiving. Thanks for any help.

They may look the same, but it's my understanding that the AR3a mid is rated 4 ohms, while the AR5 is an 8 ohm driver. I hope someone more knowledgeable than me chimes in on this. :D

Edit....just saw you said "AR3" not "3a". In that case, they are not the same at all.

No they ae not the same and don't interchange one the AR3 is a 4 ohm and the AR5 is a 8 ohm.

if the AR 5 is cheap enough get it and you might find some one to trade they are also used in the LST II

also there is a diff if it is a AR3 or AR3A

what is your speaker?

Guest watson

What I have is a AR3 not an "a" model. The other I was looking at is a AR5. Sounds like it's a no go putting a 5 in a 3. Knew it couldn't be easy.

Thanks all

having a AR3 mid bad, is even worse then. you will need special solder and the driver is hard to come by the last ones went for over 60.00 on ebay.

but is is worth it to keep this speeker original.

Jim

you might want to see if its a bad pot first did you try moving the mid pot back and forth to see if the driver comes to life

Archived