AR loudspeakers and stereo imaging ?

thiptoman

Which AR loudspeakers had the best imaging and coherence ? Also can someone comment on AR's view about stereo imaging in their speakers . How does one get great in-room imaging from AR loudspeakers ? I have a pair of AR-303 that I'd like to use for serious listening . Your thoughts appreciated . Thanks !

I can't speaker for AR nor can I comment on the various AR speaker systems. All I can do is share what I experienced this past summer when I went to horizontal passive bi-amping on my AR-3a's.

In short, the stereo imaging IMPROVED substantially with bi-amping. In all fairness, this may be because the 3a's were taxing my amp and once the power hungry woofers were isolated from the mid and tweeter, these was no longer any "crossover" in the amps.

In any event, some 303's came from AR with provisions for bi-amping. If you have such a set, I'd encourage you to give it a try.

You don't need a huge amp for the mids and tweeters. 15 to 40 wpc is plenty (even a low power tube amp will work). Naturally for the woofer, the 100 wpc minimum is still recommended.

Regards,

Jerry

>All I can do is share what I experienced

>this past summer when I went to horizontal passive bi-amping

>on my AR-3a's.

>

>In short, the stereo imaging IMPROVED substantially with

>bi-amping. In all fairness, this may be because the 3a's were

>taxing my amp and once the power hungry woofers were isolated

>from the mid and tweeter, these was no longer any

>"crossover" in the amps.

As Tom Tyson will likely comment, the AR-3a was designed as a far field radiator, to be heard throughout the room, and not intended for listening in one specific location. Ken Kantor may wish to comment on the 303, as that was his design.

Speakers that do have four input terminals for biamping (AR-3a Limited, AR-303) use the same crossovers when driven from a single amplifier. If you have removed or modified any part of your AR-3a crossovers in the process of connecting two amplifiers to your speakers, then your comments would not apply to the query; if your system now has pronounced imaging, something is wrong.

Hi, again...

Whenever you have a speaker with wide dispersion, the first step towards getting more precise imaging,(if that is your goal), is to get the speaker away from nearby reflecting surfaces.

By the time the 303's came out, AR had been around for decades. Over the years the company's philosophy on imaging changed. (As did almost everyone's.) There were designers there who didn't give it much attention, and others for whom it was a high priority. It certainly was considered critical 9X series, with felt absorbers and vertically aligned drivers.

-k

kkantor.spaces.live.com

Guest SherwoodFool

Has anyone listened extensively to M Holographic series or the large Partner(Rock or Studio)? I think both made big claims for dispersion & stereo imaging.

SherwoodFool

>Has anyone listened extensively to M Holographic series or

>the large Partner(Rock or Studio)? I think both made big

>claims for dispersion & stereo imaging.

>

>SherwoodFool

Room effects and early reflections have a HUGE effect on the quality of dispersion and imaging. Be dubious of claims of this sort. You will never know for sure until you get them into your listening space and tinker with their position relative to the rear and side walls and toe-in and this list goes on and on and on.

Accurate Anechoic measurements listed on many claims simply won't translate to your room environment

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Archived