Rubber surrounds for RA Mini Reference...vs more foam?

Seahawk57

On 1/28/2024 at 4:57 PM, Seahawk57 said:

Any thoughts about re-doing surrounds in more durable rubber... rather than rotting foam again?

Got two pairs that require some 💕.

Thanks.

Today’s newer foam surrounds will hold up virtually as long as rubber.

RA did nothing without a reason and rubber surrounds will work but degrade the performance.

Had my woofers refoamed over 10 years ago and they are as compliant (so far) as the day they were done.

“newandold’ has made the point that the newer surrounds hold up better and apparently they do. I too re-foamed my four LST surrounds in around 2010 and thank goodness, they’re still holding up.

I read a few years ago that new additives were being incorporated in the foam chemical formulas enabling more longevity. And I might add that’s a relief as I’ve done more than my share of re-foaming AR 12 inch woofers.

Attempting to use actual ‘rubber’ surrounds in a speaker designed for use with more compliant foam will not only affect the woofer’s movement but, bring it away from its original sound.

A classic case of re-writing, re-explaining over and over regarding the same information, if only viewers would do a ‘search’ on the keywords, topics, it’s all been answered here already.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2024 at 2:00 PM, frankmarsi said:

“newandold’ has made the point that the newer surrounds hold up better and apparently they do. I too re-foamed my four LST surrounds in around 2010 and thank goodness, they’re still holding up.

I read a few years ago that new additives were being incorporated in the foam chemical formulas enabling more longevity. And I might add that’s a relief as I’ve done more than my share of re-foaming AR 12 inch woofers.

Attempting to use actual ‘rubber’ surrounds in a speaker designed for use with more compliant foam will not only affect the woofer’s movement but, bring it away from its original sound.

A classic case of re-writing, re-explaining over and over regarding the same information, if only viewers would do a ‘search’ on the keywords, topics, it’s all been answered here already.

Agreed there are topics that get beaten to death at times, but in this case I would give folks a pass for sure. Rotted foam surrounds (or rubber ones) never happen at a good time and when users get caught off guard by this, they are looking for answers.  I’ve had foam surrounds since the 1970s, but didn’t know about the improvements in the foam until the turn of the century lol.

On 2/15/2024 at 9:36 AM, newandold said:

Agreed there are topics that get beaten to death at times, but in this case I would give folks a pass for sure. Rotted foam surrounds (or rubber ones) never happen at a good time and when users get caught off guard by this, they are looking for answers.  I’ve had foam surrounds since the 1970s, but didn’t know about the improvements in the foam until the turn of the century lol.

Tied into this indirectly (VERY) Is a listing for a pair of Allison IC 20 loudspeakers on eBay, that proudly display, what appears to be a replacement surround for one of the woofers they came from Cerwin Vega it certainly appears. Nice and red with the grille cover missing. (enough to make a grown man cry lol.)