AR LST HELP WITH WOOFER WIRING.

I AM REPLACING MY WOOFERS AND WANT TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO TELL THE POSITIVE/NEGATIVE SIDE OF THE WOOFER?? ALSO THERE IS A RED WIRE GOING TO ONE SIDE OF THE WOOFER AND(NOT SURE BUT DOING THIS FROM MEMORY) A BLUE OR BLACK ONE TO THE OTHER. CAN I ASSUME THAT THE RED ONE IS POSITIVE??

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS.

I have mine on my work bench ( fabricating metal perfed grills to keep my children from destroying them! ) and I will open them up and check the woofer wiring and report back. I would assume that the red is +.

There is a red mark on one of the leads of each speaker. Can I assume it is the + lead connection?

Would you know if the negative side be connected to the frame of the speaker? If so I could check it with a meter.

Thanks for the reply.

In the LST manual under Specifications:-

Phasing: Positive voltage applied to input terminal No. 2 causes the woofer diaphragm to move forward (out of cabinet).

The diagram at the back of the book shows terminal No. 1 connected to the auto-transformer through the 5,000 mfd cap.

This continues on and is connected to the negative side of the bass, midranges and tweeters.

This implies that all the speakers are in phase, and terminal No. 2 is positive.

Good luck

Barry Hart

• 2 weeks later...

This message has largely been answered, but if the woofers on your AR-LSTs for some reason don't have the "+" or red dot marking beside the terminal, the easiest way to determine polarity is to take a flashlight battery, solder a couple wires to the "+" and "-" terminals and touch the leads to the raw speaker terminals. The terminal that responds with an outward (read away from the magnet) excursion of the cone from the battery "+" end is the positive terminal, and should be wired to the red wire internally, and is appropriately connected to the #2 or red input terminal on the back of the AR-LST. The #2 terminal on nearly all AR speakers is the positive terminal.

Archived