Restored AR 2AX

Shacky

Picked up a pair (plus one extra) 2AX's from Andy about a month ago. Potentiometers where shot. Finally had time to work on them over 4th of July weekend. Replaced the potentiometers with Dayton L-Pads and recapped using Solen caps of equal values. Had only one problem - one woofer is no longer attached to the casting so I swapped it out with woofer from spair unit.

This is the first pair of AR's I've ever had. I've read so much about them that I really wanted to experience these historic speakers. This pair is now working beautifully. I have to admit I wasn't sure I liked them when I first listened. I think you have to get use to what sounds flat at first. My wife who has much better ears than I said "there's no high end".

Now that I've listened to them for several hours I do appreciate the classy sound from the 2 AX. They are not the most revieling speakers but have a great laid back sound. There is a lot of music coming from these 40-year old puppies.

I'm impressed with how they sound with the Beatles, Pat Methany Group, even the new David Gilmour CD. Vinyl sounds great. Other times music does sound a little dry - I guess I'd say boxy. When listening to a great recording they sound great. When listening to a so so recording they sound so so. Have to live with them a little longer to make final judgement.

Can anyone tell me if sound is better on stands? I currently have them on the floor. Driving them with Pioneer SX950.

Shacky

>Picked up a pair (plus one extra) 2AX's from Andy about a

>month ago. Potentiometers where shot. Finally had time to

>work on them over 4th of July weekend. Replaced the

>potentiometers with Dayton L-Pads and recapped using Solen

>caps of equal values. Had only one problem - one woofer is no

>longer attached to the casting so I swapped it out with woofer

>from spair unit.

>

>This is the first pair of AR's I've ever had. I've read so

>much about them that I really wanted to experience these

>historic speakers. This pair is now working beautifully. I

>have to admit I wasn't sure I liked them when I first

>listened. I think you have to get use to what sounds flat at

>first. My wife who has much better ears than I said

>"there's no high end".

>

>Now that I've listened to them for several hours I do

>appreciate the classy sound from the 2 AX. They are not the

>most revieling speakers but have a great laid back sound.

>There is a lot of music coming from these 40-year old

>puppies.

>

>I'm impressed with how they sound with the Beatles, Pat

>Methany Group, even the new David Gilmour CD. Vinyl sounds

>great. Other times music does sound a little dry - I guess

>I'd say boxy. When listening to a great recording they sound

>great. When listening to a so so recording they sound so so.

>Have to live with them a little longer to make final

>judgement.

>

>Can anyone tell me if sound is better on stands? I currently

>have them on the floor. Driving them with Pioneer SX950.

>

>Shacky

Hi there;

With changing out the caps, give it a few weeks of burnin for the system highs to be stabilized.

With the level controls set at near or at maximum.

If the center of the enclosure is at about ear level, when sitting, you will find the exagerated bass should be a little less overwhelming.

An outstanding old classic speaker.

The damaged woofer can very likely be repaired to like new again.

Good luck.

>Vern,

>

>Thanks for the tip! I forgot about cap burn in. I raised

>them on stands I use for my Dynaco's which are about 13"

>off the floor. Matbe too high for AR's but it does improve

>the sound.

>

>Jim

Hi Jim;

Not to worry about the stand height, the measurements are not carved in stone.

AR's original stands were about 11 - 12" high.

The main thing is that they are off of the floor, with the woofers on the bottom.

Near the rear wall, away from side walls and maybe even aimed towards you slightly.

Nice job, enjoy.

Wow, those are sounding like some nice speakers, should I have kept them....just kidding, they've got a good home with Shacky who has spent the time and brought them back to life.

This forum is a great place to meet others who care for vintage speakers and sell or buy something along the way. My old 2ax's sound like they are good to go for the next thirty years-

Andy

Andy,

Sorry I didn't take pictures of the process. My 23-year old son who's into heavy metal. happened by while Bush was playing on the radio. He immediately came into the living room, ssat down to listen and said THOSE SOUND PRETTY GOOD. NICE JOB DAD. From him this is the positive review of a lifetime!

Thanks again Andy!

Jim

Archived