Need to get inside my new old AR 2ax's

The pots in the back don't work. I'd like to get at them. I took off the front cover and unscrewed the woofer and the "midrange." The sealing putty was so thick and so well adhered that I am at a loss of how to get the speakers out to work on the crossovers and the pots. Any tips. Also the woofer cone is weperated from the metal ring. What kind of glue should I use?

Gary in NY

Hi-

A friend and I came across the same problem with the putty holding down the woofers on a set of AR 3a's. We ended up carefully using a putty knife to pry around and it loosened up to the point that we could get a screwdriver under the edge to hold it and lifted it up and out with our fingers. Be prepared to dig through lots of fiberglass, and it is packed very well around the pots.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a set of 2a's today for $50.00! They are in good shape and the grills are mint with both badges ( the AR badge and the "a" on the front. They have the cloth surrounds on the woofers and all drivers are in good shape. One thing that is odd about them is the midrange drivers. There are two, one above the other, angeled a little bit towards one another. Does anyone have information on these?

I've upgraded a couple pairs of AR2a's with those dual midrange plates .. those drivers seemed to be extremely low quality and almost always were physically distorted from the fiberglass settling behind them.

First thing I would do to the AR2a's is install the AR2ax upgrade kit. I believe Layne Audio still has these .. if I recall correctly the kit consisted of an easy to install adapter plate for the single AR2ax midrange and the crossover parts needed to complete the upgrade.

Mark

Archived