AR2ax with different woofers

ThomasL

4 hours ago, ThomasL said:

Any of you have an opinion on this? 

It looks to me like both cabinets were cut for the earlier and larger diameter 6 hole frame woofer.  One woofer is a 6 hole and the other woofer with the flat dust cover is the later 2ax woofer with 4 holes.  Both woofers may be AR but I can't recall ever seeing an early 6 hole 10 inch woofer with a smooth paper cone. 

The 4 hole frame is too small for the woofer opening and would need an adapter to correctly seal the cabinet.  I can't see an adapter ring in these photos

The only way to really know is to extract the 6 hole woofer and look at the magnet for date and model info.  I would consider this pair as compromised and be looking for matching woofers which could be difficult in Denmark.  They are not worthless but they are not at an ideal starting place for restoration if you want a matching stereo pair.

Others may have more to say.

Good luck.

Otherwise the speakers look good in the photos.

I

4 hours ago, Aadams said:

It looks to me like both cabinets were cut for the earlier and larger diameter 6 hole frame woofer.  One woofer is a 6 hole and the other woofer with the flat dust cover is the later 2ax woofer with 4 holes.  Both woofers may be AR but I can't recall ever seeing an early 6 hole 10 inch woofer with a smooth paper cone. 

The 4 hole frame is too small for the woofer opening and would need an adapter to correctly seal the cabinet.  I can't see an adapter ring in these photos

The only way to really know is to extract the 6 hole woofer and look at the magnet for date and model info.  I would consider this pair as compromised and be looking for matching woofers which could be difficult in Denmark.  They are not worthless but they are not at an ideal starting place for restoration if you want a matching stereo pair.

Good luck.

Thanks! I can see the difference in size of the two woofers now after reading your reply. But if we assume that there is an adapter would it influence the sound? Do the two different woofers sound alike? 

54 minutes ago, ThomasL said:

But if we assume that there is an adapter would it influence the sound? Do the two different woofers sound alike? 

It is possible that both speakers contain their original drivers. The factory would have installed an adapter for the 4 hole woofer.    Inside the box, AR would have accounted for the different woofers by changing the crossovers and the speakers would sound perceptibly identical when new.    The problem for me is the 6 hole woofer is wrong. It could be the original frame with a new cone and voice coil or it could be the wrong part altogether.  So.......................Assuming the speakers have not been modified internally and the only alterations are what we can see in photos:

If you are critical listener they will not sound identical in their current form.   If you are a casual listener they may sound good enough.

You haven't mentioned the price.  To me, in their current state, they are worth the combined value of their seperate, working, genuine AR parts on ebay.  Maximum.

1200 DKK = 175 USD

5 hours ago, Aadams said:

Good luck.

Thanks! I can see the difference in size of the two woofers now after reading your reply. 

32 minutes ago, ThomasL said:

1200 DKK = 175 USD

$175

- $150 for tweeter rebuilds

+ $80 USD  4 hole woofer and 2 mids

------------------

$105 or less for everything.

The tweeters are so degraded they must be rebuilt or replaced even if they seem to work.   

8 hours ago, Aadams said:

$175

- $150 for tweeter rebuilds

+ $80 USD  4 hole woofer and 2 mids

------------------

$105 or less for everything.

The tweeters are so degraded they must be rebuilt or replaced even if they seem to work.   

Thanks for your input - very useful!