AR LST woofer spider sag

Earthnz

Advice needed. Both woofers have quite severe spider sag. One so much that when I manually raise the cone, you can feel the spider snap back to its former position. Let it go and it snaps back down towards the magnet. The other woofer is not as bad, but the cone still sits about 8mm below where the new surrounds placed on top sit....any hints of tips from members on how to remedy this?? Or, much to my stress, will I need to replace the spiders with non original AR parts. 

IMG_20230203_232436.jpg

Thanks for the reply Aadams. I'm not confident enough to attempt the shiming process so I'll be sending them off to the professionals to perform that surgery.

Out of curiosity, won't the weight of the cone on the sagging spider cause the surrounds to be under alot more stress than a properly sitting spider and cone??.... And how common is this sagging spider issue with these woofers?? 

11 hours ago, Earthnz said:

Out of curiosity, won't the weight of the cone on the sagging spider cause the surrounds to be under alot more stress than a properly sitting spider and cone??.... And how common is this sagging spider issue with these woofers?? 

The answer to your question is a definite yes.  If you leave the woofer sitting on its back or front for extended periods, it will develop a genuine sag.  It  should not be stored sitting on the magnet or suspended face down or in the cabinet mounted face up or down.    AFAIK any sag that develops while oriented correctly in the baffle is negligible. 

The spider in these large acoustic suspension woofers is floppy and barely springy.  Most of the spring support comes from the trapped air in a nearly sealed enclosure.

Aadams