Waht is AR-6?

Dear Sirs,

This is KAZUR from Japan. How are you?

I've got the old and damaged junk speakers named AR-6 recently for my hobby, restoring the old vintage speakers. This is the air-suspension type 2way system. I thought AR stands for "Acoustic Research" which is famous for this type. Then, I visited your homepage in order to know the specification about AR-6. I could find AR-1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 in your page but couldn't find AR-6(six). I tried the other homepages like Audio review but I couldn't either. So, I start doubting that this might be imitation-products. Please let me know any information about AR-6(six) if you have.

My E-mail address is as follows. "kazur@mail.goo.ne.jp"

Thank you.

Kazur:

I thought I had the specifications for the AR-3a series online, but it looks like I forgot to scan the brochure in.

I'll do it this afternoon - the AR-3a series includes the AR-6, so you probably have the real thing.

The AR brochure I have is dated October of 1974 and shows a retail price of $99 each for the AR-6. This model has an 8" woofer and 1 1/4" tweeter.

I'll try and have the brochure up by later today in the AR specifications section.

Mark

• 1 month later...
Guest rickcee

HI THIS GOES BACK TO THE 'GOOD OLE DAYS' MY MOM

GOT A PAIR OF AR-6 SPKS. IN 1973 FOR ABOUT $80. EA.

I JUST LAST THANKSGIVING TRIED TO REFOAM THEM , BUT

THEY STILL SOUND DISTORTED, MAYBE THEY WERE DAMAGED

BY PLAYING WITH BAD (1/2 MISSING!) SURROUNDS.?

ANYWAY, THE AR-6 GOT GOOD REVIEWS IN BOTH STEREO

REVIEW AND HIGH FIDELITY IN ABOUT SEPT. 1970. SAME

TIME FRAME AS DYNA 25 AND ORIGINAL ADVENT.

I always tell people to replace or repair their woofers as soon as they see cracks developing in the foam, long before the foam is actually falling out. Reason I do so is because I've spoken with so many people who play their rotted surround speakers even with a "little buzz" and wait until the surrounds are totally missing before having a repair done.

This is a bad idea .. I think it's very likely you will experience voice coil damage when the surround is not fully intact, thereby requiring a replacement instead of the more cost effective repair.

Mark

Guest rickcee

What to do ? ( mom's ar6's ) refoam of bad surrounds

maybe didn't work (prev.messages ). I got a new (pretty cheap ,discontinued ) set of ar 338 ( 8" 3 way ) that

are in a similar size cabinet to ar-6 i'm thinking

either replace just the bass units in ar6 cabs. OR

cut up front and install all 3 spks from ar 338 (1 1/2 " mid & 3/4 " tweet. similar to ar 303 ? 338 cabs are

vinyl which irritates me , would MUCH rather have real

wood cabinets (old ar6 ). besides, they're mom's, you know?

AR 6 crossover - 1500 AR 338 low cross. - 900 . . . close enough ?? assume old crossover & tweeters are OK?

don't know that yet. Rick

• 1 month later...

The AR-6 was a high-performance 2-way acoustic-suspension loudspeaker from Acoustic Research, introduced in 1971. The AR-6 was available in oiled walnut ($81/ea) or unfinished pine ($72/ea). It used a low-resonance (Free-air 25Hz., mounted 56Hz.) 8-inch woofer crossed over at 1500 Hz. into a wide-dispersion 1-1/2-inch tweeter.

The performance of the AR-6 was considerably better than the AR-4x and other 8-inch speakers, and was roughly equal to the 10-inch AR-2ax and AR-5 speakers with respect to bass response. The speaker also had excellent power response due to its wide-dispersion tweeter.

Archived