Follow-up: recapping my AR-9's

Guest David in MA

Guest David in MA

Hi all,

I just wanted to take a moment and share my experience of recapping my AR-9's.

First all, I decided to go with Bennic electrolytic and Carli Mylar caps because it is a good money-saving choice - cost me around $50 for both speakers. Perhaps sometime in the future I will replace them w/ solens or zens but for now I figured this was a good way to go.

I didn't replace the two caps in the woofer cross-over. I replaced 7 caps in all. I had to order 9 caps per speaker because I had to pair two 12MFD caps and two 20MFD caps to form 24 and 40 mfd caps. The 4 mfd cap was replaced w/ 3.9 mfd cap. I also replaced the 6 ohm resistor in series w/ 40 mfd cap and 1.37 mh inductor on recommendation by Bret.

Of the 7 caps, 5 caps in the upper midrange and high range were done w/ the speaker on its back. For the two caps in the lower midrange, I found it easier when the speaker was standing in its normal vertical position.

I didn't bother unsoldering old caps. I cut it off using a wire cutter. I also didn't remove the 80 mfd cap because it seems like it just belong there (lol).

Sound experience? I guess it sounds better. Does it blow my mind? I don't know. In my case, one of my upper mid range driver is not performing correctly so I can't tell. I have a new mid range coming this week so I will write more then I get it installed.

There you have it. Took me maybe 1-2 hours per speaker. Much easier job than refoaming.

>I guess it sounds better. Does it blow my mind? I don't know. In my case, one of my upper mid range driver is not performing correctly so I can't tell.<

Is it still rattling?

Bret

Guest David in MA

>>I guess it sounds better. Does it blow my mind? I don't

>know. In my case, one of my upper mid range driver is not

>performing correctly so I can't tell.<

>

>Is it still rattling?

>

You know, I think it's in the recording. It's beginning of the first track of Kind of blue. It's the only time I can hear the buzz...

Guest OldRelayer

I will try that track and report. Will accomplish two things, I haven't heard it yet on my new speakers.

When did capacitors get worth their weight in gold. $50 and you went the cheap route, I guess I am showing my age, I think I remember caps being a dime a dozen.

Guest OldRelayer

I didn't hear a rattle. If your lucky enough to have a reverse on your pre-amp, it might make it easier to find the problem, see if it follows the source. A little easier than changing wires, but that will work as well.

Guest David in MA

>I didn't hear a rattle. If your lucky enough to have a

>reverse on your pre-amp, it might make it easier to find the

>problem, see if it follows the source. A little easier than

>changing wires, but that will work as well.

It wasn't a rattle, more like a slight buzz. For some reason, it's not as noticeable. I'm definitely sure it's not the driver.

>It wasn't a rattle, more like a slight buzz. For some reason, it's not as noticeable. I'm definitely sure it's not the driver.<

Could be the source. I've had that happen. Was relieved to find it was the source since that's easily and cheaply replaceable and drivers are not.

You said you had a new midrange coming - "new" new or "new to me" new?

Bret

Guest David in MA

>Kind Of Blue? The noise is on the recording - it's actually

>kind of famous. Listen to it on headphones, and you'll hear it

>clearly, starting at :50 seconds.

That's what I thought. It's funny that it's kind of famous. I'll try to look it up on the net.

Thanks for the information.

Guest David in MA

>

>You said you had a new midrange coming - "new" new

>or "new to me" new?

>

I got in contact w/ Larry (vintage_ar on ebay). I spoke to him at length and he seemed very passionate about restoring vintage AR's. He had hi-mid replacement part available and so I ordered from him. He said if I didn't like the sound, I can return it for a full refund, minus the $9 shipping.

Archived