AR90's Tweeter replacements

Guest dean128

Guest dean128

I have recently picked up a pair of AR90 for cheap. They have been abused by an idiot owner whom had fried both tweeters ( beyond repair). These tweeters ( to me ) are identical to the AR9, 91,92 and AR925. Are those tweeters in the mentioned models same in specs and that they can be used as replacement among those series? and where i can get replacement?

Alternatively, can i replace them with newer tweeters (with same impedence) from Vifa or Dynaudio? can anyone tell me what's the SPECs for AR90's tweeter.

I am from Australia and there is not much info available for these beauties here.

All help are much appreciated!

Best Regards

Dean

I would suggest buying new OEM replacement tweeters from AB Tech Services since they are brand new and will last longer and make better sense for your money. Beside they will be better matched within specification than buying old used original units from eBay. Since everyone is fighting to get what is claimed as original and made in the USA tweeters, they will never come cheap at the end. I recall recently one new old stock AR9 tweeter sold for close to twice the new tweeter cost from AB Tech!

Minh Luong

http://www.abtechservices.com/pages/2/page...h=1134188465692

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/1092.jpg

post-101112-1141569110.jpg

>I would suggest buying new OEM replacement tweeters from AB Tech Services since they are brand new and will last longer and make better sense for your money.<

Have you tried any of this batch of replacements? I've been curious about them, but not curious enough to just buy a pair for no reason.

>Beside they will be better matched within specification than buying old used original units from eBay.<

Minh, I don't want to be argumentative, and I completely agree that a pair of new *should* be better "matched" than an old pair - but these are said to be replacements for the 9,3a,10pi and 11.

There is no way, no way at all, that they can be "right" for all those models. The 9/90/91/92 were different from the 10pi/11 which were different from the 3a.

If you have tried a pair, I would be interested in your opinion as to which tweeter these replacements are closest to.

Bret

Hi Bret

Thanks for the info on the Callins caps and AB Tech tweeter commands. You are quite right in both cases and if you have any better suggestion to the people who are searching for 3/4" AR tweeters in this case by all means lead them to the right direction.

I do not work for AB Tech and if they end up selling more tweeters I will not get any commission! If people prefer to check out other venders and pay more money or wondering why they couldn't get through the telephone? I have no answer to that. The last batch of tweeters I bought from AB Tech was the one with sponge padding on the faceplate and they sound closer to the 3/4" coated soft dome with ferro fluid filled tweeters. They will not sound like the original AR-3a tweeter. I had given up on buying used AR-3a tweeters on eBay since it had been a total waste of my money and so much frustration was involved!

I answer to Dean's question because I received an email from him this morning so I just letting him know what I would do.

Minh Luong

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/1093.jpg

post-101112-1141621768.jpg

>The last batch of tweeters I bought from AB Tech was the one with sponge padding on the faceplate and they sound closer to the 3/4" coated soft dome with ferro fluid filled tweeters.<

That was what my ears said, too. They were really screechy in a pair of 10pi's. I can only imagine what they must have been like in a 3a. They were not so bad in a pair of AR-90s.

>They will not sound like the original AR-3a tweeter. I had given up on buying used AR-3a tweeters on eBay since it had been a total waste of my money and so much frustration was involved!<

I know what you mean. You might have to buy 4 or 6 drivers to get two that sound right and sound alike.

You'd think *SOMEONE* would re-develop these tweeters for all those speakers going to Asia if no other reason. People who are willing to pay thousands for a pair of 35 year old speakers would probably pony-up hundreds for tweeters, wouldn't you think?

Still, Mihn, I don't see that anyone restoring a pair of these old girls has much choice but to buy used if they want the old sound back.

I'm not disagreeing, really. I'm just resigned to the difficulties of getting it right.

Bret

Jim

I don't at the moment but if I ever located one I will post it up for you. May be other members in this Forum will take close up pictures of the front and back of the replacement tweeter from AB Tech to share with Us.

Minh

My name must be so much more complicated than the technical specification of a 3/4" tweeter that people constantly misspell It! I am No Expert and I Don't make up Stories to mislead people. I just sharing my experience and suggest what I would do for myself. Right or wrong and how much Money you are willing to spend are strictly base on personal willingness and preference...

>My name must be so much more complicated than the technical specification of a 3/4" tweeter that people constantly misspell It!<

I apologize, Minh.

I was soooo paranoid that keep referring to my mispelling to get the spelling right!

So I'll take total responsibility for the error and hope you will forgive me.

You weren't implying that I was making-up a story though, were you?

Bret

>hello do you have a picture of the back of this tweeter please.<

Jim, it will be two weeks from yesterday before I can photograph the back of the replacement tweeter (the one with foam). The two I have are in a closet, but the closet's at my listening-buddy's house. He's gone now and I'll be gone when he gets back in town.

Hopefully someone can get it done before then, but if not I'll do it then.

Bret

Bret,

I am speaking about myself and no one else. I don't imply anything on anybody and assume anything. I really think it is better off let people express themselves and say what they know and experience rather than questioning them Right, Wrong, Prove to me what you Said etc. which will definitely shy away many good people who want to speak out in the restoring of the Vintage Speakers process but afraid being put on the table at the end...

Don't be sorry for misspelling my name, I am just running my mouth since Dean from my home town did the same mistake so I just take it as a Joke! That' All. I apologize if it sounds like Heat. Raising our blood pressure for this kind of things is silly and worth nothing!

Good Luck Everyone and I am taking another break in the mean time!

Minh Luong

>I apologize if it sounds like Heat. Raising our blood pressure for this kind of things is silly and worth nothing!<

I agree, Minh !

It should be fun.

Don't break too long.

Bret

Dean,

when you say that both speakers are fried, I assume you mean that are totally burned, and in this case replacement is the only solution. Nevertheless, if the tweeters are simply interrupted in a point in the coil due to a current overload, then it's posible to rewind the coils and eventually, to replace the suspensions. If you are not able to carry out for yourself, may be you can find a workshop to do it.

In any case, I'd thank you if you repport on the final solution, whichever it is, for feedback purposes.

Good luck!

Jose

Madrid, Spain

Archived