Another pair of AR-4x's

draftingmonkey

Well here I am, sinus infection running rampant, and what do I do? Why, run out and buy another pair of 4x's. The cabinets are a little beat, original owner bought in '69 and they have followed him around the country from Ohio to So Cal. As usual, the pots need work but the running gear is in fine shape. And to top it off a pair of Dynaco A-10's. Don't see those to often. With a little patience, I will be able to get my hand on some A-35's and A-50's to go with them and my current A-25's. Vern, yes we need a Dynaco speaker page to help out my addiction.

Now it's just a matter of what to hook those 4x's to? Maybe pick up a Tandberg or two from my tech buddy to keep them company. Hmmm.

Anyway, off to the open house at my local college jazz station for those 25 cent cd's. Being sick helps to divert the wifes attention from new aquisitions to my well being. What a devious sob I am. lol.

Have a good one all.

James

btw - this is pair 4 for AR-4x's.

Guest postjob62

Well James, can one really ever stockpile too many 4x's in the first place? They're really something aren't they?

Say, while we're talking about it-I'm going to assume your DM moniker is one you use on another forum. If so, didn't I read a post a while back where you had stacked a pair of 4x's over a pair of 2ax's for your wife's sewing room, or something like that? If so, how do they sound and what are you driving that setup with?

Have you ever tried stacked 4x's? I'm currently running stacked 4x's in my office pushed by an old Marantz 2230 receiver, and the sound is very large indeed. It's a really sweet sound, especially when one is listening at low volume levels.

Ed

Ed,

Yeah I use draftingmonkey everywhere except for ebay (including some of my Dodge forums). That way I remember who I am.

Check out the members photo section on this forum and you will see a photo of the 4x/2ax setup. It is being driven by a Yamaha R-9. It actually started with stacked 4x's but I needed/wanted another pair for the master bedroom. 1 pair on the bed side table and another pair on a ledge over the wardrobe at the foot board end of the bedroom. The 2ax's were a little heavy to put up 8' on a ledge. These 2 apirs a being driven by a Fisher 800-C.

As for how they sound, great together. The 10" woofer on the 2ax's fill in the low end and the 8" woofer on the 4x's fits the spot between the high end of the 2ax woofer and the mids. I'm not the most technically worded on audio so I can only describe how it sounds.

The next thing is to find a smaller receiver that I can use on the A-10's for a small office system. And the hunt goes on...

James

Hi James;

You have done the best at describing what a fun hobby, hifi can be.

I'm not the most technically worded on audio so I

>can only describe how it sounds.

This is what it is all about, James, how it sounds to you.

>The next thing is to find a smaller receiver that I can use on

>the A-10's for a small office system. And the hunt goes

>on...

>

>James

Archived