AR3a

Guest frankie

Guest Stevey88

I have a pair of AR3s. I am thinking of modifying one of them so the tweeter and the Mid become a mirror image of the other. The question is - will the imaging improves, or this is a waste of time ?

>I have a pair of AR3s. I am thinking of modifying one of them

>so the tweeter and the Mid become a mirror image of the other.

>The question is - will the imaging improves, or this is a

>waste of time ?

The imaging would greatly improve, but it would no longer be an AR-3a. I am not a fan of modifying classic designs, even if the improvement would be good.

If you are handy with woodworking, you could probably find drivers or get new ones, and build a pair of speakers exactly like the 3a, just changing the location of the tweeter and mid.

Guest b stott

OK, so the nameplate (R channel) is upside-down, but I have had my 3a's oriented with the woofers near the wall since I brought them home from the factory (where I worked) fall of 1967. I don't even notice the nameplate anymore, and the speakers sound fine to me. I have not heard them with the R channel speaker placed so the tweeter and mid are near the wall, so I don't know if there would be a difference. I always thought, for no apparent reason, the sound would be more balanced if I set them up this way.

Archived