AR classic 30's image too low

Guest touchzen

Are you talking about the Classic 30, circa 1992-1993? If you are, they seem to be speakers that need lots of high current/power. I have 400 watts per channel bi-wired,and could use more, they are not efficent speakers at all, I would suggest looking for an old Carver amp (pre THX), and would suggest lots of power....along with checking to make sure the drivers are ok. Someone has a picture on file regarding these, I do not know if the picture attachment worked or not, it might be my dog in lingerie.....

post-101748-1140482254.jpg

>Just bought a pair of AR classic 30 and really like them, the

>only problem I am having is the image is too low, the sound

>seems coming from a spot no more than 30 CM high. I am using

>sherwood 6500 to drive them.

>http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_rd6500.html . Would it be

>helpful if I upgrade the receiver?

>TIA

Hi there;

I see that it is 100 x 5 which should be enough power, but what rating is the speakers, 4 ohm? or 8 ohms?

See what the amp is rated at, and if the speakers are 4 ohm rated.

A good indicator of power is the amount of watts 20 - 20,000 hz and less than .5% distortion at the speaker rated ohmage.

It is possible to have a true 10 watt RMS per channel @ 4 ohms stereo amplifier, that selling advertised at 200 watts per channel.

Number manipulation is all it is, this has been going on as long as I've been interested in hifi.

When you say the image is too low, do you mean that the sound is coming fron a particular speaker location, rather than widely dispersed area?

If so, there may be a driver not functioning.

Please come back with some more information please, thank you.

Guest touchzen

ben101 and Vern,

Thank you for your kindly help. Yes, the speakers are Classic 30, I double checked the speakers and all drivers are in good condition. Sound is actually coming widely dispersed area, but the location of sound is low to my ears, no more than 30 cm high, espeically when listening to vocals, singers seems singing at center but the bodies are blow my floor. I read something like this before(speakers are not classic 30), and the guy got higher image after changing his receiver.

The receiver is dirty cheap (100$ from curcuit city), but the sound is decent to me, I am happy with it except this low image issue I am not sure caused by the receiver.The spec of the receiver is:

100 Watts per Channel x 2 in Stereo Mode with less than 0.9% THD,

40 Hz-20 kHz, 6 Ohms

The classic 30 is 4 Ohms speakers, and sensitivity is 88db. I am a little bit worring that the receiver perhaps doesn't have enough current to drive the speakers. But I don't know how much a better receiver can improve the sound.

Acutally I have this question puzzled me for a long time, if I don't play loud, is there any advantage of a high current/power receiver?

TIA

>ben101 and Vern,

>Thank you for your kindly help. Yes, the speakers are Classic

>30, I double checked the speakers and all drivers are in good

>condition. Sound is actually coming widely dispersed area, but

>the location of sound is low to my ears, no more than 30 cm

>high, espeically when listening to vocals, singers seems

>singing at center but the bodies are blow my floor. I read

>something like this before(speakers are not classic 30), and

>the guy got higher image after changing his receiver.

>

>The receiver is dirty cheap (100$ from curcuit city), but the

>sound is decent to me, I am happy with it except this low

>image issue I am not sure caused by the receiver.The spec of

>the receiver is:

>

>100 Watts per Channel x 2 in Stereo Mode with less than 0.9%

>THD,

>40 Hz-20 kHz, 6 Ohms

>

>The classic 30 is 4 Ohms speakers, and sensitivity is 88db. I

>am a little bit worring that the receiver perhaps doesn't have

>enough current to drive the speakers. But I don't know how

>much a better receiver can improve the sound.

>Acutally I have this question puzzled me for a long time, if I

>don't play loud, is there any advantage of a high

>current/power receiver?

>

>TIA

Hi Tia;

The loudness level for you, may not be, the same for me.

If you just enjoy sitting back and listening and still being able to talk, not yell, to someone else in the same room, you should not have a problem with the amp you have now.

If you also like the neighbours to hear your system, you should get a Phase Linear 700 or equal.

There's only one sure way to tell - borrow an amp from a friend! ;)

High current amps and receivers don't have to break the bank. You could try a harman/kardon or anything else with high current, discrete output, etc.

I think you'll be pleased with a higher quality amp (with those speakers in particular) especially if you really drive the bass hard.

Mark

Archived