More Questions on Fusing

Charles218

I have read many of the posts here concerning fusing and yet I feel more confused now then before. I have a pair of 3A's and have been convinced by Vern and others that the way to go is fast blow for the tweeters, slow blow for the woofers. I still do not understand the step by step procedure for accomplishing this. Is there a post that I have missed that gives directions on this? A few weeks ago I found fusing info on the Crown Audio site as Vern suggested, but I failed to bookmark it and can no longer find it. Does someone have the url to get to the fusing discussions? I'm ready to take the plunge, just need to find step by step info if it is available.

>Sorry Charles, the AR approved method of the FNM slow blow

>fuse with the single open fuseholder is the best I can suggest

>for you right now.

Vern,

I want to make sure that I understand your opinion on this, I'm quite dense here and sometimes need to be spoon fed.

From your many posts on fusing I understand that you believe that the tweeter and woofer should be fused separately, is that correct? But since you have not personally performed testing, (pushed drivers past their limit) to find the exact fusing requirements you are suggesting that we use the documented AR fusing scheme, yes? I believe that I have you in a previous post recommending a 1 amp fast blow fuse, and this is what I was going to pursue.

Back in the 60's I was a music major in college and played in the concert band, and we were performing a piece for concert band and tape. The tape contained electronic sounds some of which were very low, very high, and "very" loud. This was performed in a large concert auditorium, 2000 plus seats. Well, I volunteered my 3A's driven by a Dyna 120 for the performance. The first time we tried it there was a collective wow from all of us. The sheer power and dramatic sound that the speakers put out was so much more then I could ever imagine, it was stunning. Now, I can't imagine ever driving my speakers anywhere close to that level in my small music room here at home. I suspect that going with a 1 amp or so fast blow fuse would be a very reasonable approach. I must say though that I am intrigued by the idea of separate fusing for tweeter and woofer and would like to learn more. I believe that the Crown Audio site has data on this but I still can't find it. Can someone give me the direct url to this discussion on Crown Audio?

>>Sorry Charles, the AR approved method of the FNM slow

>blow

>>fuse with the single open fuseholder is the best I can

>suggest

>>for you right now.

>

>

>Vern,

>

>I want to make sure that I understand your opinion on this,

>I'm quite dense here and sometimes need to be spoon fed.

We are all here just to hopefully learn and enjoy ourselves, Charles.

>From your many posts on fusing I understand that you believe

>that the tweeter and woofer should be fused separately, is

>that correct?

Most definitely the tweeters, mids and woofers should be fused with the appropriately sized fuses.

But since you have not personally performed

>testing, (pushed drivers past their limit) to find the exact

>fusing requirements you are suggesting that we use the

>documented AR fusing scheme, yes?

An accepted form of fusing, but maybe oversized today slightly.

I believe that I have you

>in a previous post recommending a 1 amp fast blow fuse, and

>this is what I was going to pursue.

AR recommended the Bussmann slow blow fuses and never mentioned fast blow fuses in anything I ever read from them.

I have used 1 amp fast blow fuses in an open style fuseholder for decades now.

Yes, I do on occassion blow a fuse or two, but they are cheap.

I use them on my LST's and 3A's.

>Back in the 60's I was a music major in college and played in

>the concert band, and we were performing a piece for concert

>band and tape. The tape contained electronic sounds some of

>which were very low, very high, and "very" loud.

>This was performed in a large concert auditorium, 2000 plus

>seats. Well, I volunteered my 3A's driven by a Dyna 120 for

>the performance. The first time we tried it there was a

>collective wow from all of us. The sheer power and dramatic

>sound that the speakers put out was so much more then I could

>ever imagine, it was stunning. Now, I can't imagine ever

>driving my speakers anywhere close to that level in my small

>music room here at home. I suspect that going with a 1 amp or

>so fast blow fuse would be a very reasonable approach.

I must say though that I am intrigued by the idea of separate fusing

>for tweeter and woofer and would like to learn more.

There is no information that I have come across other than the AR/Advent/Dynaco fusing information.

If you go to "other" discussion forum and to, "Fast Blow Fuses" topic, I have given the path to Crown.com. again.

Too bad we have these antiques and no pre-engineering done for us to do the separate fusing.

We will, in the case of a 3 way speaker, 3 separate fuseholders mounted on the rear of the enclosure and prone to damage.

It would be nice to have another recess area to mount them.

I believe

>that the Crown Audio site has data on this but I still can't

>find it. Can someone give me the direct url to this discussion

>on Crown Audio?

There is more than one member that does not use fuses.

There is also more than one member that has lost one or more drivers for lack of a fuse or an incorrect size.

If we use an example of an AR-4 (not AR-4X) where a tweeter replacement is needed.

I don't think I have seen one AR-4 tweeter advertised on ebay yet.

To that comment one might think, throw the speaker away.

If you do an ebay search for AR-2AX mid drivers you'll find oodles of them and under $10.00 each.

They also used this mid as an AR-4 tweeter.

There appears to be an abundance of these drivers, so no one would worry about blowing them now.

If you owned a Cizek, for choosing one brand name only, if a driver fails, there is a much more difficult time trying to locate one.

It would seem very prudent to fuse in this case.

To sum up for an AR-3A only, I might make this un-educated guess, that a 1 amp FNM slow blow fuse for the woofers only, 1 1/2 amp fast blow for the mids, and 1 amp fast blow for the tweeters.

I am sure that there will be other more knowledgeabe members add to this topic now.

Archived