An age old question about Allison Surrounds

teknofossil

Hello everyone. For quite a few years I purchased my surrounds with reliable and very good results from Msound. Unf91 woofersortunately he has disappeared, hopefully it is retireent and not something darker. My Allison woofer surrounds prior were pretty variable. Even though sold as the correct surround often times the dimension of the surrund roll was wrong and/or the foam was too thick. Thickness issue resulting in higher fs. Perhaps with enough break in time they would settle out but my "clients" generally do not want to hear/deal with that.  So my question is has anyone a recommended supplier for the 10 inch drivers as used in the AL 1,3 and 9 (I haven't had anyone approach me with IC20 woofer issues) and the 8inch drivers used in the 2, 4, 7 and 8? I don't do a lot of driver rebuilds anymore now that I retired (where most requests came from) so I haven't done a comprehensive search. Now I am looking at a set of AL 3 woofers in sorry shape. Any recommendations would be appreciated! I surely miss John at MSound. I used his last kit on a set of AR-91 woofers. He put together very nice kits which included the obvious parts (surrounds, adhesive, dust caps) plus sandpaper, cotton tip applicator, acid type brushes, a range of plastic sheet shim material in various gauges and his well documented instructions. All materials that would help the first timer quite a bit. 

Thanks for reading my long message!

Tom

• teknofossil changed the title to An age old question about Allison Surrounds
4 hours ago, teknofossil said:

Hello everyone. For quite a few years I purchased my surrounds with reliable and very good results from Msound. Unf91 woofersortunately he has disappeared, hopefully it is retireent and not something darker. My Allison woofer surrounds prior were pretty variable. Even though sold as the correct surround often times the dimension of the surrund roll was wrong and/or the foam was too thick. Thickness issue resulting in higher fs. Perhaps with enough break in time they would settle out but my "clients" generally do not want to hear/deal with that.  So my question is has anyone a recommended supplier for the 10 inch drivers as used in the AL 1,3 and 9 (I haven't had anyone approach me with IC20 woofer issues) and the 8inch drivers used in the 2, 4, 7 and 8? I don't do a lot of driver rebuilds anymore now that I retired (where most requests came from) so I haven't done a comprehensive search. Now I am looking at a set of AL 3 woofers in sorry shape. Any recommendations would be appreciated! I surely miss John at MSound. I used his last kit on a set of AR-91 woofers. He put together very nice kits which included the obvious parts (surrounds, adhesive, dust caps) plus sandpaper, cotton tip applicator, acid type brushes, a range of plastic sheet shim material in various gauges and his well documented instructions. All materials that would help the first timer quite a bit. 

Thanks for reading my long message!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Two suggestions for you….

Ebay. there are several professionals that vend from there and you can communicate with them before you buy regarding roll radius and material thickness etc.

The other is Simply Speakers that sells AND repairs for those of us that are so inclined.

In the VERY unlikely event you were tasked with IC20 woofers, the surround is the same as what would be used with the A1. There are other differences, most notably the smaller magnets, but not the surrounds.