What to do with my new AR3a's?

Guest linedrive

Guest linedrive

I found this great forum when I began looking for information on the AR3a speakers that were originally my father's, and are now mine. The speakers have been shipped all over the world, and the plywood cabinets are banged up beyond repair. I remember how good these AR3a's sounded when I was a kid, and I'd like to build a new enclosure for these original drivers, and maybe make other changes, that would possibly improve on the original. My work is in helicopter flight management systems, and I have a decent garage workshop, so I'd be interested in any suggestions that you guys might have. Thanks.

Ted

>I found this great forum when I began looking for information

>on the AR3a speakers that were originally my father's, and are

>now mine. The speakers have been shipped all over the world,

>and the plywood cabinets are banged up beyond repair. I

>remember how good these AR3a's sounded when I was a kid, and

>I'd like to build a new enclosure for these original drivers,

>and maybe make other changes, that would possibly improve on

>the original. My work is in helicopter flight management

>systems, and I have a decent garage workshop, so I'd be

>interested in any suggestions that you guys might have.

>Thanks.

>Ted

Hi Ted;

If you have the pine finish AR-3A's you are lucky.

Staining was not recommended by AR.

Wood putty the dings and have someone spray paint a gloss black piano finish might be an option.

The original cabinets were solid.

It would be a lot of work to try and duplicate the enclosure and even the possiblity of damage to the components.

Have to agree with Vern.

You are not going to make these better by building a new box.

The pots are surely corroded by now.

I hate to even mention this but the capacitors might not be 100%.

Those 2 areas are subject to the most problems due to age.

Unless the structure of the cabinet has been compromised, fill in the holes and re-veneer. If you build new cabinets you still need to finish them. So whats the point?

Are the tweeters and midranges ok?

Amplification?

And most importantly (and hardest to fix) - is the room ok?

Last thing I would be doing is building a new box.

First I'd be certain that the cabinets are air tight and structurally sound making any repairs necessary. Have you considered applying veneer to the outsides. You could finish them any way you like and if it's well done, you'd never know. In addition to the potentiometers and the capacitors, check the woofer surrounds looking for any signs of rot or deterioration, they might have to be refoamed or if they are cloth, a flexible sealant applied.

The problem with building a new box is that the enclosure must be exceptionally sturdy and the internal volume must exactly match the original. The amount of air contained in the box is part of the system's critical tuning to optimize the bass response.

A good restoration will be rewarded with a first rate loudspeaker system.

Good luck.

Guest linedrive

Thanks alot for the feedback, I do appreciate it.

I probably understated the condition of these AR3a boxes. The veneer is mostly stripped away from the plywood, they are loaded with gouges and dents, and there are maybe two good corners between them, so they are really shot. The speakers do play, and all of the drivers seem good, but have problems with dropouts on the controls. My plan was to treat them like a collection of drivers, and a crossover. I was thinking about changing the new box's shape, by making it deeper and taller, and placing the drivers in a line above the woofer. I could then use a pair of stands to elevate the new speakers. The internal volume of the box would be kept the same as the original. I'll probably remove the drivers this weekend. Thanks again.

Ted

I'm also thinking of a painted finish instead of veneer.

Archived