AR SRT 260

Wally

I just found a pair of AR 'SRT 260 Studio Transducer'in a hock shop for $150 cdn.

I can't find any info on them so assume they are not 'classic'.

They are a 3 way with 10" woofer about 4" mid and a 1" metal dome tweeter. There are two adjustment pots on the front upper right hand corner.

Anybody know anything about these. re: What vintage are they, are they a good speaker...how do they compare with the classics like the AR 2ax and are they worth the $150. Look in very good condition.

There's a little info here, but you'll need some Korean:

http://www.audio09.co.kr/board/expert/boar...no=20976&page=1

The SRT-260 seems to be a collection of plastic drivers in a glued-together, black vinyl-covered box - unfortunately, about as far from "classic" AR as it's possible to get.

The 2ax is one of AR's most well-regarded speakers, and the favorite of many folks on this forum.

If I remember correctly, these were a line of products built exclusively for Circuit City during the early 80's. This was a common practice at that time, with Bose, EPI, JBL, etc, all doing similar things. Fortunately, the trend didn't last very long.

These AR's weren't junk, but are definitely not up to the standards of the "classic" products.

Archived