Early Cloth Surround AR woofers

ArtW

Looking for information.  I have a pair of 12" AR3 or early 3a woofers with the Alnico magnet and cloth surrounds.  They function with the 1.5v battery test, and have not tested them with any other input signal due to a large amount of "spider sag" on both speakers.  Does anyone out there know of anyone who can recone/recondition these woofers and still maintain the cloth surrounds?? Is that even possible??

If keeping the cloth surrounds is not possible, what do the newer foam surrounds do to the performance of these woofers? 

I would really like to get these working in their original condition if possible.  Thanks in advance for any help...

Art

3 hours ago, ArtW said:

Looking for information.  I have a pair of 12" AR3 or early 3a woofers with the Alnico magnet and cloth surrounds.  They function with the 1.5v battery test, and have not tested them with any other input signal due to a large amount of "spider sag" on both speakers.  Does anyone out there know of anyone who can recone/recondition these woofers and still maintain the cloth surrounds?? Is that even possible??

If keeping the cloth surrounds is not possible, what do the newer foam surrounds do to the performance of these woofers? 

I would really like to get these working in their original condition if possible.  Thanks in advance for any help...

Art

Art,

I've been having luck with these woofers. If the spider is very bad, it will need to be replaced. There is a perhaps a 50/50 chance the cloth surrounds can be saved. If not, a re-foam can sometimes provide better results, depending on the condition of the original surround. Send me a PM for details...

Roy