AR-3a Repair little wires

Guest sglynn

I recently bought a pair of AR-3a speakers. Now I need to repair them. First the little wires in front are broken and disconnected. How do I re-attach them to the speakers, and where can I find a schematic on where they are suppose to go? Second, I need to replace the switches in back of one of them. I found instructions and parts, so I think I can do this. Any hints? Finally, one woofer is blown. Can I replace the coils rather than replace the whole speaker? If so where do I get parts and instructions. Your help is appreciated. sglynn@us.ibm.com

Guest dogmeninreno

>I recently bought a pair of AR-3a speakers. Now I need to

>repair them. First the little wires in front are broken and

>disconnected. How do I re-attach them to the speakers, and

>where can I find a schematic on where they are suppose to go?

>Second, I need to replace the switches in back of one of them.

> I found instructions and parts, so I think I can do this.

>Any hints? Finally, one woofer is blown. Can I replace the

>coils rather than replace the whole speaker? If so where do I

>get parts and instructions. Your help is appreciated.

>sglynn@us.ibm.com

There should be a 3 pin terminal block on the front of the speakers. You will have to re-solder the wires to the proper tab on the block which may require you to extend the mid and tweeter wires. Be sure that the enamel is removed from the small wires. Here is a link to a schematic on this site that should help.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/ar/clas...a/AR3aXorig.gif

There are several discussions on this forum about ways to clean the pots on the back. You will have to do a search and find one that fits tour expertise and tools available.

Is the woofer voice coil blown or is the surround rotted? There are many shops that will either re-cone the woofer or replace the surrounds (I suggest you do both woofers if surrounds are rotted) Miller sound comes to mind as a good repair shop. As an alternative, these woofers come up frequently on ebay and sell for about $50-$75.00 ea.

One important tip is to be sure the cabinet is properly sealed so air will not tend to leak..

I also have several of the original woofers if you are interested and maybe would take your old woofers in trade which would save you a few bucks..Good Luck, Dale

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dogmeninreno

>Dale, regarding your 2 AR 12inch woofers. Are they for sale

>or am I misunderstanding you.

>Sincerely, Frank Marsi

Frank, I will sell you 2 of the AR 12" Woofers. I have several that have been refoamed and a few that need refoaming..Your choice. If you are interested, I will send you photos. Dale

Archived