Acoustic Research AR4x Speakers

Guest toothsls

Guest toothsls

I'm a total novice on this sort of equipment. I recently picked up a pair of AR4x speakers. I was wondering how I would go about removing the speaker grilles to clean them and inspect the speakers themselves. Also, if anyone had any comments or hints about these units I would appreciate them. Thanks.

While the bass isn't as deep as with the larger AR speakers, the AR-4x's are great speakers. Congratulations on finding a pair. The speaker grills are attached with a little bit of glue and a bunch of narrow, long staples. I was able to remove the staples by gently insterting the corner of a screwdriver under them and then prying up. Then you can grab the staple with pliers to pull them out. They you have to lift the grill frames and try to pop loose any glue without breaking the frames. It's somewhat of a slow, tedious process, but should work fine. Maybe others have suggestions of a better way to do this. I'm not sure of the best way to re-install the grills, as the staples are difficult to reuse. I wonder if a bit of Velcro might be the way to go.

The main problem encountered with these speakers seems to be the volume controls for the tweeters. They tend to become corroded and develope bad spots or quit working altogether. If needed, they can be disassembled and cleaned, or Layne Audio sells replacements.

--Geoff

>I'm a total novice on this sort of equipment. I recently

>picked up a pair of AR4x speakers. I was wondering how I

>would go about removing the speaker grilles to clean them and

>inspect the speakers themselves. Also, if anyone had any

>comments or hints about these units I would appreciate them.

>Thanks.

>While the bass isn't as deep as with the larger AR speakers,

>the AR-4x's are great speakers. Congratulations on finding a

>pair. The speaker grills are attached with a little bit of

>glue and a bunch of narrow, long staples. I was able to remove

>the staples by gently insterting the corner of a screwdriver

>under them and then prying up. Then you can grab the staple

>with pliers to pull them out. They you have to lift the grill

>frames and try to pop loose any glue without breaking the

>frames. It's somewhat of a slow, tedious process, but should

>work fine. Maybe others have suggestions of a better way to do

>this. I'm not sure of the best way to re-install the grills,

>as the staples are difficult to reuse. I wonder if a bit of

>Velcro might be the way to go.

> The main problem encountered with these speakers seems to be

>the volume controls for the tweeters. They tend to become

>corroded and develope bad spots or quit working altogether. If

>needed, they can be disassembled and cleaned, or Layne Audio

>sells replacements.

>

>--Geoff

>

>>I'm a total novice on this sort of equipment. I recently

>>picked up a pair of AR4x speakers. I was wondering how I

>>would go about removing the speaker grilles to clean them

>and

>>inspect the speakers themselves. Also, if anyone had any

>>comments or hints about these units I would appreciate them.

>

>>Thanks.

>

Hi there

Please don't remove the grille clothes for now.

You have found, what I consider, to be the, "best bang for the buck" AR speaker ever made.

You can usually look through the grille clothes with a flashlight to seel if the surrounds are foam or not.

Any attempt to clean up the clothes will not be very successful.

The discolouration you see will become possibly white spots and the actual material is no longer available.

I have tried spot test cleaning smoke/nicotine from a clothe and it looks far worse than the original stain.

If you don't have a foam surround needing refoaming and the pots are ok, just enjoy these great little speakers.

The hot glue can also cause the clothes to tear when removing them.

Replacing the clothes requires special acoustical material.

Fuse your investment.

Good luck.

I agree with Vern. If it all works don't mess with them. More than likely though the pots will need to be replaced. I have removed the grills on a half dozen or more AR speakers. I usually use a putty knife as it has a wider blade than a screwdriver and as the blade flexes it is harder to apply to much force in working the grill free. Take your time and work you way around a bit at a time. I usually take 30 to 45 minutes to loosen the grills. I have been using weather stripping around the edge, a little wrapping the corner and at the cross brace. It seems to hold the grill snuggly in place and allows them to be removed, heaven forbid, if neccessary. I have a couple of pairs that have been this way for a half dozen years and the grills have stayed in place just fine.

This link will take you to a site where you can download, in jpg format if I remember right, various information on quite a wide range of AR speakers including the manual, which gives you fusing information. Follow the sidebar on the left as the site I believe is Korean. As nice bit of info for AR fans.

http://www.arsound.com/

I have 3 pairs of 4x's, 2 pair hooked up to my Fisher 800C in the master bedroom. They really are quite a nice sounding speaker and you should get a lot of enjoyment from them.

James

>I agree with Vern. If it all works don't mess with them.

>More than likely though the pots will need to be replaced. I

>have removed the grills on a half dozen or more AR speakers.

>I usually use a putty knife as it has a wider blade than a

>screwdriver and as the blade flexes it is harder to apply to

>much force in working the grill free. Take your time and work

>you way around a bit at a time. I usually take 30 to 45

>minutes to loosen the grills. I have been using weather

>stripping around the edge, a little wrapping the corner and at

>the cross brace. It seems to hold the grill snuggly in place

>and allows them to be removed, heaven forbid, if neccessary.

>I have a couple of pairs that have been this way for a half

>dozen years and the grills have stayed in place just fine.

>

>This link will take you to a site where you can download, in

>jpg format if I remember right, various information on quite a

>wide range of AR speakers including the manual, which gives

>you fusing information. Follow the sidebar on the left as the

>site I believe is Korean. As nice bit of info for AR fans.

>

>http://www.arsound.com/

>

>I have 3 pairs of 4x's, 2 pair hooked up to my Fisher 800C in

>the master bedroom. They really are quite a nice sounding

>speaker and you should get a lot of enjoyment from them.

>

>James

Hi James

I just re-checked our own AR library the other night as well and there is some new material since my last visit.

Thank you, Mark and whomever provided it.

A wide putty knife is great and maybe green masking tape at the edge of the veneer to help prevent veneer crush.

At the arsound site, look at the AR-4XA speaker, or our own library, and see where the factory used strips of Velcro to hold the grill cloth on.

If anyone does consider using Velcro for any classic speaker use caution as they used special staple guns and staples and the wood was moister and softer back then.

The caution is because, the wood is now hard and dry, if you attempt to staple, tack or nail it, you may split the wood.

You could pre-drill holes but spliiting is still a possiblity.

Down the road, you may find the tweeters may drop out, if so, just turn them back and forth a few times.

This is a usual temporary cure.

If you find it happens too frequently, then cleaning them up or replacement with re-built ones are an option.

I don't think I've adjusted mine maybe once or twice at most in 35 years, I live at sea level and in Vancouver, near the ocean.

New OEM ones are not available, but several reader do offer re & re re-built ones for a fee.

There is pictures of pots in the various steps of being cleaned up in back write-ups.

Only 3 pairs of 4X's in the master bedroom? MMMMMMM

Some people are so lucky.

But, James, if you are truly, the Master of your Bedroom", you would have AR-LST's. lol

James gave you some really good advice.

Vern,

Never said I was Master of my Bedroom. But if I did and the wife found out I would soon be Master of the Doghouse. As for AR-LST's, a little out of my budget at the moment. But if it makes you feel better I do have 2 pairs fo AR-3A's and a pair of AR-2AX's. Hope that makes up for it a little.

As for the tape, forgot to mention that. Blue or green painters tape as the low stick doesn't seem to pull much on the veneer. I try to wrap it just over the edge to give the putty knife blade a cushioned edge to pivot on. The velcro is a neat idea, but as you say the wood and particle board is a little dry and brittle with age. Which is why in the end I used the insulation tape at the corners and cross member of the grill and let the tension of the foam hold the grill in place. Since you can find it in home centers in various thicknesses it is easy to find what will fit your installation best. Some people may not like it as you can slightly see it around the edge but at listening distance it is hardly noticable.

James

>Vern,

>

>Never said I was Master of my Bedroom. But if I did and the

>wife found out I would soon be Master of the Doghouse. As for

>AR-LST's, a little out of my budget at the moment. But if it

>makes you feel better I do have 2 pairs fo AR-3A's and a pair

>of AR-2AX's. Hope that makes up for it a little.

>

>As for the tape, forgot to mention that. Blue or green

>painters tape as the low stick doesn't seem to pull much on

>the veneer. I try to wrap it just over the edge to give the

>putty knife blade a cushioned edge to pivot on. The velcro is

>a neat idea, but as you say the wood and particle board is a

>little dry and brittle with age. Which is why in the end I

>used the insulation tape at the corners and cross member of

>the grill and let the tension of the foam hold the grill in

>place. Since you can find it in home centers in various

>thicknesses it is easy to find what will fit your installation

>best. Some people may not like it as you can slightly see it

>around the edge but at listening distance it is hardly

>noticable.

>

>James

Hi James

Nice you having 3A's and 2AX's, a lot of people probably wish they at least had them.

I'm happy with 4X's at times, also.

The green tape was mentioned only as a caution to not kinkle the edges of the veneers.

If one wanted to use Velcro, they do have a Velcro glue, or I guess epoxy would work as well.

I wouldn't use a large section of Velro, because it may require too much force to remove and the frames, being so old and brittle might break.

Whatever works, holding the grills on and being able to remove them at will is all thats needed.

Choices, lots of choices, there is no end of ideas on this web site, I really enjoy reading everyones feedback.

On a recent posting of the Amati auction on ebay, I suggested someone buy those virgin empty Amati cabinets, and install only original AR drivers and insulation and tri-amp them.

There you go.

Have a great night.

Archived