HELP! Need an AR-3a expert....

Guest critique

Guest critique

I have sold a pair of AR-3as to someone who is claiming they are not good.

The speakers were used regularly until 3 years ago and then were stored indoors. Here is what he claims:

"When you shine a very bright light in the speaker grills it is easy to see the MAJOR damage to the WOOFERS. THE RUBBER GASKET ABOUT 11" ROUND AND 1" WIDE IS ROTTEN IN BOTH SPEAKERS. THESE ARE WHAT HOLD THE SPEAKERS CONES TO THE SPEAKER FRAMES."

I have a hard time believing that this could happen to speakers stored in sealed plastic for 3 years.

I also, having seen these speakers with my own eyes and taking a dozen digital pics of them have a hard time believing that you can see through the screen with a light of any kind.

These speakers were cared for like they were the owner's children.

Heck, he even oiled the cabinets on a regular basis to keep the wood nice. I've attached a pic of the speakers taken shortly before they were shipped FedEx...you can see how pristine they are, but I will admit, the owner (a relative) has never taken the cloth off in the 30 years he's had them. (he bought new)

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/559.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Fred

post-101442-1124397450.jpg

Guest critique

Nevermind....got my question answered. Apparently you CAN look through the cloth with a bright light and see the condition of the speaker foam.

Guess I'll have some nice AR-3a s for sale soon after he sends them back that just need new woofers or re-foaming (which I wouldn't reccomend).

Thanks!

Fred

This illustrates an unfortunate problem that can happen with any internet sale.

Yes, after 30 years the urethane foam surrunds are rotten and need refoaming. Nothing can stop the decay. Yes, one can see it through the grille with a strong light.

Two comments: The seller did not understand these issues--likely more common than not; the buyer did not ask the right questions. A technically savy buyer would have assumed they needed refoaming and considered this when bidding. If the buyer was astute enough to look through the grilles and see the decomposition upon delivery, but did not ask the right questions prior to bidding, well ... likely let the buyer beware.

The good news--assuming the sale price was reasonable--is that the buyer can have the woofers refoamed and still claim a great deal.

I would be interested in those AR3A's just as they are. Pls email me a price and advise where you are located. I am near Toronto in Ontario.

Wally

>Nevermind....got my question answered. Apparently you CAN

>look through the cloth with a bright light and see the

>condition of the speaker foam.

>

>Guess I'll have some nice AR-3a s for sale soon after he sends

>them back that just need new woofers or re-foaming (which I

>wouldn't reccomend).

>

>Thanks!

>Fred

>

Guest critique

Thank you everyone for your feedback!

The buyer got the speakers for $510. not sure if that is a bargain or not. He also claims that one of the speakers was damaged during shipping which will require a FedEx claim.

I am trying to work something with him to refund a couple of hundred bucks to cover the cost of new woofers. Looks like he'll go with that option, but I'll post them on here is he doesn't.

Thanks Again!

Fred

Hi there

A price of $510.00 US plus s&h for a pair AR-3A's today in mint shape, is probably not a bad price today. When new they went for $250.00 US retail each.

Very collectible.

A re-foam job should run roughly $75.00/pair.

In my opinion you should not be refunding more than $75.00 plus a $25.00 inconvenience fee.

If the speakers were sold as is, because of age, then as a courtesy a $100.00 refund should be ample.

We are all not trained to know about the foam rot.

Good luck.

Vern

>Thank you everyone for your feedback!

>

>The buyer got the speakers for $510. not sure if that is a

>bargain or not. He also claims that one of the speakers was

>damaged during shipping which will require a FedEx claim.

>

>I am trying to work something with him to refund a couple of

>hundred bucks to cover the cost of new woofers. Looks like

>he'll go with that option, but I'll post them on here is he

>doesn't.

>

>Thanks Again!

>Fred

>

Fred,

You obtained a good price for your speakers!

If he insists on "new" woofers make sure to get the old ones back in exchange! For use in the AR-3a many of us would prefer the original refoamed woofers over new replacements. You will sell the oldies easily, rotten surrounds and all!

Roy C.

Hi again

I feel that you should be able to refund $100.00 US to the buyer to settle the foam rot issue.

For him to pack up and send you his woofers, is expensive and not necessary.

He must know that AR manufactured AR-3A OEM woofers were discontinued 20+ years ago.

Re-foam is a perfectly acceptable repair, in my opinion.

I do not feel that the buyer should have to do the re-foam but a serviceman will for about $75.US/pair.

There is a woofer that will fit the AR openings but it is not the OEM original AR woofer as we all know, but an equivalent which you should not have to buy at $100US + each.

I don't know if anyone else agrees or disagrees with my proposal but sound off please.

Good luck again.

Vern

>Fred,

>You obtained a good price for your speakers!

>

>If he insists on "new" woofers make sure to get the old ones

>back in exchange! For use in the AR-3a many of us would prefer

>the original refoamed woofers over new replacements. You will

>sell the oldies easily, rotten surrounds and all!

>

>Roy C.

>just need new woofers or re-foaming (which I wouldn't reccomend).<

I'm just backing-up what others have said. Many hours and dollars have been spent by people here determining that the old woofer, *correctly* refoamed is infinitely preferable to the replacement woofers.

In fact, a former AR-engineer and executive did lab tests on refoamed AR 12" woofers to find-out how they act. When done right, they act great.

I have a pair of replacements, lightly used, for sale for $50 each AND *I'm* advising you not to buy them.

Have the woofers refoamed. Tell the guy who bought them to take them to someone who knows what they are doing to remove the grills and have the woofers repaired. Give him $100 for his trouble. Ultimately he'll be happier and it'll be cheaper than your buying $260.00 in replacement woofers.

Just my opinion, of course. If the buyer thinks having those repaired at your expense is somehow "cheating" him, it really is his loss more than yours.

Bret

Guest postjob62

Johnieo,

Your'e exactly right. I'm nobody's expert, but I watched this auction while lusting after the 3a's realizing that anyone with a shred of enlightenment could have seen this trainwreck coming a mile away.

It was nothing more than a probably very honest seller(but somewhat uninformed about what he had and what was expected by afficianados) coupled with a buyer who really didn't know what to ask. The buyer more than likely had read glowing reports regarding the 3a's-you know messages here pop up on a Google search-and took the seller's enthusiastic description verbatim.

In an earlier thread about overseas buyers this same scenario comes into play. I think sometimes misinterpretation of common English idioms contributes to artificially inflated prices.

The bottom line in many of these auctions is to do your due diligence, both buyer and seller, so that expectations are managed.

Ed

Archived