AR MST/1's for Sale On eBay

Guest Vinyl Rules

Guest Vinyl Rules

Not my listing, but first pair I've ever seen for sale:

Seller says he has two more, but he's not selling a mirror-imaged pair and says he's replaced the woofers with what he calls "Rotel" drivers.

Not sure what he means, but it will be interesting to see if anyone jumps on these and/or the other pair he says he has.

You can view them at: http://tinyurl.com/adts2

Are these collectible, or just oddities? :)

Guest Vinyl Rules

My thoughts exactly.

I've seen "nude" AR speakers before, but never any with drivers that looked quite like these.

IMHO, the seller has butchered these speakers and original replacement drivers would have to be found to get them back to what they were. Also, who knows what he may have done to their crossover network?

They look like what I would call a "dog's breakfast." :)

I asked the seller if he was trying to sell two "rights" and was going to be left with "two lefts" and didn't get a response. I don't know if he just really doesn't know what he's doing or if he has three "rights" or what.

Bret

Hi there

I was just looking at the photo of the enclosure and there is 4 tweeter openings.

The original MST only had 3 tweeters.

These must be homemade.

I suggested this to the seller.

>I asked the seller if he was trying to sell two "rights" and

>was going to be left with "two lefts" and didn't get a

>response. I don't know if he just really doesn't know what

>he's doing or if he has three "rights" or what.

>

>Bret

The European MST had 4 tweeters.

The MST had a lot of developmental problems. Because of the horizontally-oriented tweeters, there were response irregularities that AR had the toughest time straightening out. The AR-7 actually had smoother, more uniform response than the MST, according to AR's own internal docs. AR went through all kinds of x-over iterations trying to clear things up. By time they did, the dealers were already soured on the product and it died a quick death in the marketplace.

It was never clear exactly why the Euro version had a symmetrical 4-tweeter layout and the US version had 3 tweeters.

Steve F.

The original AR-MST design had 4 tweeters and an eight inch woofer both in US and over sea. After AR had marketed the AR-MST to the field they had found out both impedance and electrical characteristic problems associate with the 4 tweeters layout. The quickest way to solve the problem was to eliminate one tweeter. Whether the crossover had minor changed or not, I am not sure? Then AR marketed them as mirror image pair and named them AR-MST1 (one) as labeled on the brass logo.

Minh Luong

The reason that very rare to find AR-MST with 4 tweeters in the US was that when the AR-MST speakers were sent back to AR factory in MA for serviced back then. They might had been replaced by the AR-MST1 on their way back to avoid future problem…

Minh Luong

Hi again Bret

I was referring to the bare cabinets when I wrote my 2 1/2 CDN cents worth.

If you look at the photo throught the front, it looks too clean on the inside back panel to have ever had any attached crossover, same as the back photo through the round opening.

The back doesn't seem to have had any labels or marks otherwise.

Have a great night.

Vern

>

>>I was just looking at the photo of the enclosure and there is

>4 tweeter openings. <

>

>I did NOT see that! Thanks for straightening me out.

>

>Bret

>I was referring to the bare cabinets when I wrote my 2 1/2 CDN cents worth.<

Gotcha - I just went and looked again (and again) and couldn't find that fourth tweeter-hole for all the tea in china.

I don't think these MSTs look all that bad. The Rotel drivers have to come-out, obviously, and he does have pictured "two rights" but if he has the lefts all I see wrong is that someone replaced a grill and didn't do the best job in the world.

Could be interesting.

Bret

Guest Vinyl Rules

Well, they sold for slightly over $231, and another Korean buyer scooped them up.

It's seems more than mere coincidence that so many Koreans have been purchasing so many AR speakers lately on eBay.

I keep wondering what do they know that we don't?

By the time the buyer of these MST/1's pays shipping and customs, he'll likely have close to $500 invested in them.

Archived