AR-10pi Grilles

Guest johninmi

Guest johninmi

hi:

i'm a recently new member and have been reading and learning from all the more senior members for a while, now. this is a great forum!

now i have a question. i recently acquired a set of 10-pi's and they have black-cloth grilles installed on them. did the 10-pi's originally come equipped with cloth, or have the grilles on these speakers been replaced? i have a pair of 11's which i bought new and they have foam grilles; i had always thought that the 10-pi's have foam grilles, too. is my impression about the 10-pi's wrong?

thanks!

john

John,

>>...i recently acquired a set of 10-pi's and they have black-cloth grilles installed on them. did the 10-pi's originally come equipped with cloth, or have the grilles on these speakers been replaced? i have a pair of 11's which i bought new and they have foam grilles; i had always thought that the 10-pi's have foam grilles, too. is my impression about the 10-pi's wrong?<<

Congrats on acquiring a set of AR-10pi's and having a pair of AR-11s.

Your impression about the AR-10pi originally having foam grills is correct. In fact, the AR-10pi, AR-11, AR-12, and AR-14 share the same cabinet dimensions and used the exact same foam grills.

One problem with the foam grills is they "dry rot" much the same way other foam pieces do (woofer surrounds, acoustic diffraction absorption ring on tweeters, and decorative woofer frame/screw covers). When Teledyne owned AR you could buy replacement foam grills from them.

Now, most owners either leave their speakers "naked" once the foam grills disintegrate or make some sort of frame and cloth grill cover.

Rich

Guest johninmi

thanks, rich and bret, for your comments and for confirming my impressions about the grilles.

yes, rich, i've experienced the "wearing out" phenomena with the foam grilles. in fact, i've already replaced those on my 11's. and, i believe, bret, that it was from AB Tech that i got them. the grilles are pretty pricey, but i swallowed hard and decided that it was worth the price to keep the speakers authenic. now that i've gotten the 10pi's that i've wanted for so long, i'll have to try to convince myself that it's worth popping for another pair of foam grilles.

i, too, have seem them on for sale on ebay, bret. the ones i saw there were for AR12's, though, i believe. i didn't realize it was someone from this Forum who was sellng them.

now that i received the 10pi's, another question has come up. when the previous owner had the surrounds replaced on the woofers, they were done with cloth surrounds. can anyone tell me how this affects the response of the woofers and the system? and, is there any adjustment that should/can be made to the control-settings and/or the crossover to compensate for the change from foam to cloth?

thanks, again, guys!

john

>can anyone tell me how this affects the response of the woofers and the system? <

John, I think the very real answer to this question is "no." Not without someone spending some time in a lab.

But I have a question for you - are you sure the surrounds were replaced with cloth, or is it possible someone replaced the woofers with older models which had the cloth surrounds?

In either case, this is another something I'd "correct" back to original as closely as possible.

Bret

Guest johninmi

>But I have a question for you - are you sure the surrounds

>were replaced with cloth, or is it possible someone replaced

>the woofers with older models which had the cloth surrounds?

>

>Bret

>

hmmmmmm.

good question. no, i'm not sure. i don't actually have them in hand yet. i only have word from the previous owner that the surrounds had been replaced and that they are cloth. i'll have to open them up and check what the drivers actually are, when i get my hands on them. thanks for the heads-up.

john

Archived