Sagging woofer spider - best practices for repairs?

leemichaelbrian

Hello all!

There are threads issuing guidance and warnings about storage to ensure that woofer spiders (particularly for the earlier 12" woofer) do not develop a sag, but are there any confirmed and documented best practices around attempting to restore proper alignment once damage has been incurred?  I have seen a few ideas, but relatively little feedback around efficacy. 

I have a spare woofer that I purchased locally whose resting point is notably deflected from where it should be.  I'd love to see if I can restore it in as non-invasive a fashion as possible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated; perhaps with enough data it might even suggest an update to the restoration guide PDF :)

Mike

7 hours ago, leemichaelbrian said:

Hello all!

There are threads issuing guidance and warnings about storage to ensure that woofer spiders (particularly for the earlier 12" woofer) do not develop a sag, but are there any confirmed and documented best practices around attempting to restore proper alignment once damage has been incurred?  I have seen a few ideas, but relatively little feedback around efficacy. 

I have a spare woofer that I purchased locally whose resting point is notably deflected from where it should be.  I'd love to see if I can restore it in as non-invasive a fashion as possible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated; perhaps with enough data it might even suggest an update to the restoration guide PDF :)

Mike

I'm not aware of any non-invasive ways to restore a worn spider, Mike.

Replacing the spider in the old woofers requires removing the cloth surround as well. The new spider must be modified to fit the cone, and the cloth replaced with foam. (I've done this job many times.) I suggest using the woofer as is. Unless you are pushing it at high volume levels it is likely to perform acceptably.

Along with worn spiders, there are a number of other issues developing with these old timers.

Roy