AR-9 LSI

Guest jcmjrt

Guest jcmjrt

I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of AR-9 LSIs but really don't know much about them. I do have a pair of AR-3's which I have quite enjoyed - what beautiful bass! I have heard about AR-9's which enjoy a good rep but what makes an AR-9 an LSI vs just an AR-9? Would it mesh well with a 40 wpc tube stereo/what's the speaker efficiency? and how would it sound in conjunction with the AR-3's if I ran 4 speakers? I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Since you haven't gotten any answers, I'd suggest you go here:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/ar/ar.htm

and read everything you can find about the 9 and the 9LSi. They are so different that I'm not entirely sure that the LSi should have born the "9" model number.

As far as mating with 3a speakers - I'm not sure you'd be happy with that if you expect a match. The 9 and even more-so the 9LSi is a good deal more "forward" than a 3a. But then, I don't know what you expect, so maybe it would be fine for you.

40wpc isn't even approaching the power needed for a 9 or a 9LSi. They are power-hungry monsters. The reward for proper feeding is considerable, though.

Guest jcmjrt

Brett,

Thanks for the info. I had heard a lot about the legendary AR-9 and thought that the LSI

might be just an incremental improvement. Sounds like it was a major change. Sounds like it's not a very efficient speaker and I like tube gear so I guess it wouldn't work out for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived