Help needed with AR 2ax crossover schematic and suggestions

Guest santa cruz carl

Guest santa cruz carl

Hi: I am restoring some 2ax speakers that either have a dead tweeter or the high pot is just shot. To make matters worse someone had dropped in some Pyle Driver woofers and the surrounds are shot. They built plywood rings to reduce the opening which leads me to believe these originally had 11" woofers. Is that likely? I only see 10" mentioned. I am going to get the stock woofers but my big question is , does anyone have a schematic for that speaker? Also, any recommendations on upgrading the crossovers would be appreciated. I know that you can buy better caps than those old ones and I dont know how crucial it is having those rheostats in there. Carl

The 2ax used a 10" woofer...

The crossover is relatively simple:

1)A 4uF cap on the tweeter

2)A 6uF cap on the mid

3)A 1.8mh inductor on the woofer

4)The drivers are all wired + to + and - to -, if we assume the yellow dot on the mid indicates the + terminal.

There is a good photo of the xover on Ebay at the moment, Item #5776818405. It shows the old style single "block" cap which contains the tweeter and mid caps. The blue wire is the common input. The green wire goes out to the mid pot and the black wire goes out to the tweeter pot. As with other AR speakers, the cabinet's connected "T" and "2" terminals are the system's + input and the "1" terminal is the system's - input.

If you can't get or don't want to use the pots, common 8 ohm l-pads will probably work based on recent feedback regarding the similar AR-5. (Both the AR-5 and AR-2ax are rated as 8 ohm systems.) They will sound bad without level controls as the impedence of the crossover circuit depends on them.

Roy

>4)The drivers are all wired + to + and - to -, if we assume

>the yellow dot on the mid indicates the + terminal.

My statement above is incorrect and should read "if we assume the yellow dot on the mid indicates the - terminal"...

The yellow wires going up to the tweeter and mid from each pot's "B" terminal is connected to the cabinet's negative input (#1) after the caps (which are installed on the negative side of the circuit in typical AR fashion). If the yellow dot means its the mid's postive side, then the mid is connected out of phase with the woofer and tweeter.

As it is the '2ax seems unusual in that the yellow wire going up to the tweeter connects to that driver's negative lead. Typically the lighter colored wires attach to the positive sides of the drivers.

Roy

Archived