AR3a vs AR11 Cabinets

Guest palomar

Guest palomar

Hi. This is my first posting. I've been reading them for quite some time, and I've learned more than I could imagine about many of my favorite classic speakers.

My question concerns the AR11 vs AR3a. My recollection is that the AR3a cabinet dimensions are a bit larger than the AR11's. Is the internal cabinet volume different as well, do differences in the amount of bracing make them about the same? And if they are indeed different, what are the differences in bass between the two?

Thank you very much.

>Is the internal cabinet volume different as well, do differences in the amount of bracing make them about the same?<

Have you discovered the forum's library?

I can't answer your questions specifically, but I know the correct answer is in the libraries.

Bret

Gary,

Welcome to the forum.

>> My recollection is that the AR3a cabinet dimensions are a bit larger than the AR11's.<<

Your recollection is correct.

>> Is the internal cabinet volume different as well,<<

From AR literature:

The internal cabinet volume of the AR3a is 1.7 cu ft. The internal cabinet volume of the AR11 is 1.48 cu ft. BTW, the internal cabinet volume of the AR LST is 1.7 cu ft.

>>do differences in the amount of bracing make them about the same?<<

No.

>>And if they are indeed different, what are the differences in bass between the two?<<

Although a contributor, difference in bass between the AR3a and AR11 has less to do with cabinet volume than other factors:

1) AR made “substantial” improvements to the 12” woofer that is used in the AR10pi and AR11 – That’s what the AR11 brochure says.

2) The AR11 uses a new/improved crossover from that used in the AR3a.

The woofer to midrange crossover frequency is the same for both speakers – 525 Hz.

The way I look at AR11 vs AR3a is that the AR11 is an evolutionary improvement to the AR3a rather than a revolutionary new speaker design within the AR family. The main differences being incremental improvements to the woofer and significant changes to the crossover and tweeter (Ferro fluid cooled introduced at the beginning and anti-diffraction foam added later in production). IMO, more significant (revolutionary) changes were made between the AR11 and the AR91.

Rich

>>> Is the internal cabinet volume different as well,<<

>From AR literature:

>The internal cabinet volume of the AR3a is 1.7 cu ft. The

>internal cabinet volume of the AR11 is 1.48 cu ft. BTW, the

>internal cabinet volume of the AR LST is 1.7 cu ft.

Excuse me. AR-3a has a volume of 1.48 cu. ft. Its interior width = 12.5 in.; interior height = 23.5 in.; and interior depth = 8.75 in. This equals 2,570 cu-in, or 1.487 cu ft. ditto for my AR-3 and AR-1.

I have seen this mis-stated many times. If indeed that figure appears in AR literature, it was likely generated in marketing by assuming all walls were 3/4-in thick. If one attempts to calculate the interior volume this way, one will arrive at an incorrect value of 1.7 cu. ft; however, the AR-3a cabinet front and grill frame total 2-in. in thickness, not 3/4 in.

>>Excuse me. AR-3a has a volume of 1.48 cu. ft. Its interior width = 12.5 in.; interior height = 23.5 in.; and interior depth = 8.75 in. This equals 2,570 cu-in, or 1.487 cu ft. ditto for my AR-3 and AR-1…

If indeed that figure appears in AR literature, it was likely generated in marketing by assuming all walls were 3/4-in thick…the AR-3a cabinet front and grill frame total 2-in. in thickness, not 3/4 in. <<

John,

Thanks for clarifying the AR3a volume figure.

I did as Bret suggested and went to the “Library.” I downloaded and unzipped the AR3a brochures and spec sheets. The AR3a brochure dated 9/74 and the spec sheet –page 18 / no date - list the AR3a cabinet volume as 1.7 cu ft.

What you stated would of course answer Gary’s question about differences in cabinet construction equalizing the cabinet volume of the AR3a vs. AR11. It is not additional internal “bracing” per se, but additional thickness of the front baffle of the AR3a that reduces the internal volume to make up the 1/16 inch larger width and 5/8 inch larger depth of the external dimensions of the AR3a cabinet.

Rich

>Thanks for clarifying the AR3a volume figure.

>

You are welcome. What I learned in my working days still applies: Assume nothing; measure it.

Brochures, circuit wiring diagrams, master component value lists, etc., contain more mistakes than we wish to admit. It sure would be nice if we could document these small but important corrections in the Forum Archives, instead of leaving them scattered among thousands of threads.

Archived