AR9LS Negative Reputation

Guest bocoogto

Guest bocoogto

I have noticed that the AR9LS is generally treated on this site as a less-than-desirable system. I would like to point out some positive characteristics of this speaker system.

First, it uses the AR3a 12" and AR2 10" woofers, along with a 8" midbass driver. I believe the one-piece midrange/tweeter dome assembly is unique to the AR9LS, AR90, AR92, etc.

Because of the woofer combination, it is capable of more low frequency output than any other AR vintage system except possibly the older AR9 with its two AR3 woofers. The 12" woofer gives it good bass extension, the 10" adds to power handling capacity and smoother output than two identical drivers. The 8" midbass unit takes over from 200hz. to 1000hz., where it is more accurate than the 12" or 10" units.

The bad reputation, I believe, came from the original as-shipped crossover components that created a peak around 2000hz. The sound was very harsh and created listener fatigue within minutes of listening at loud levels. This site shows the as-shipped crossover schematic and the "improved" crossover schematic. Changing the resistors in the crossover remove this peak and make the system sound very smooth.

I drive mine with a Hafler D500, which delivers well over 300 watts per channel at 4 ohms. I have never overdriven these speakers, even at extremely high listening levels. Those of you familiar with the AR3 and others, including the LST series, know that power handling is not their stong suit.

As a comparison, I have several pair of AR3's, one pair of AR3a's, a pair of AR2a's, and a pair of ARLSTII's. The only system that I have that rivals the AR9LS in sound quality is the AR3a. However, it is very limited for a home theater application due to power handling capacity.

Perhaps some of you have further comments, but I thought it was time someone touted the AR9LS on this site.

I can remember the introduction of the 9LS, and it was disappointing, representing the first time in AR's existence that their new top-of-the-line system wasn't as good as their *previous* one. This had never happened before, as AR's evolutionary approach produced one better successive flagship loudspeaker after another.

The 9LS omitted the Acoustic Blanket (considered integral to the 9's imaging capability), and compromised low frequency performance by abandoning the dual 12" driver set-up, which had been seen as a benchmark by many, and was an exceptional engineering achievement.

I knew a few AR enthusiasts who sold their 3as, 11s, and even LSTs when the 9 came along, but no one who traded their 9s for a 9LS.

• 1 year later...

Archived