AR-9LS for cheap

Guest treblehit

Guest treblehit

I was looking at AudioClassics.com for something else and noticed a pair of 9LS speakers for $199.

As far as I can tell, that is the price for the pair.

The 9LS isn't my favorite, but these are listed as being in pretty-decent condition and working. Since they are in upstate NY I'm not even tempted, but thought I would mention them since for most of us, this isn't a "usual haunt" looking for speakers.

It would be hard for *me* to justify spending $250+ on a pair of 11s in need of new surrounds, grills, etc, when a pair of 9LSs are sitting around with an asking price of $199.

Bret

Guest treblehit

NEVERMIND!

I saw this a day or two ago and just went back to check.

The price is now $999.

I think someone goofed and has since fixed-it!

Bret

Guest bocoogto

Yes, $199 would have been a steal. I believe these speakers developed a bad reputation because of the harsh midrange peak at about 2000 hz. This was fixed with a relatively simple crossover resistor change to reduce the midrange level. Schematics to show this are on this site. I have done this to my pair, and it makes them sound very smooth. Before the mod, they were very difficult to listen to for any length of time.

With the mod in place, I believe the AR9LS is one of the best, if not THE best vintage AR speaker ever made. Comparing it with my AR3's or AR3a's, the sound is similar, but the LS's blow the 3's away in power handling, expecially on the low end. As main speakers in my home theater setup, and ARLSTII's as the surround speakers, there is no need for a subwoofer!! I use a single AR3a for the rear surround in my 6.1 setup.

Archived