AR-90 Woofer Replacement

Guest ehlarson

Guest ehlarson

Hi -

I have a pair of AR-90's that I bought back around 1980, and have been using them with great satisfaction for nigh onto 25 years now. Not many things I've bought have given me such a great return on investment.

The original amp I used with these was a Dynaco ST-400 that I built from kit form. Eventually one of the output transistors died so I replaced this with a NAD unit. The NAD unit was very clean, unlike the ST-400. However also unlike the ST-400 it was light in the power department. After the NAD I went to a Denon 4800 reciever which has clean power and plenty of it for my needs.

The ST-400 blew the tweeters when the output transistor died, at the time Teledyne AR was still in operation so I was able to get replacements for the tweeters at that time.

A couple of years ago I noticed that the 8" middies foam was shot, so I decided to replace them with a polymer come based unit that I got from Layne Audio at their recommendation for a quite reasonable price.

Now it looks like the foam on the woofers has finally gotten to the point where things are really loose on the low bass passages.

I recently sent an email to AB Tech asking about replacing these, and they quoted me $80 per woofer.

I have been unable to contact Layne Audio to find out about their replacements which seem to be about the same price.

I am a little concerned about the mechanical condition of the woofers. Back when I had the ST-400 they were ridden pretty hard at times, so I suspect that they may not be worth refoaming.

The cabinets are in really good shape. Maybe some spiderwebs on the back, but no plant rings or serious scratches.

Now I am wrestling with the problem of what to do with these speakers. It looks like anything comparable will set me back $1500 or so, at least, however I'd be getting into modern technology. But would that really be any better than what I'd get by refurbishing these for $350 or so?

And what about the AB drivers, are these going to be a replacement that is going to bring me up to near factory original? Or at least better than an attempt at re-foaming?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Guest dogmeninreno

A couple of years ago I noticed that the 8" middies foam was shot, so I decided to replace them with a polymer come based unit that I got from Layne Audio at their recommendation for a quite reasonable price.

Now it looks like the foam on the woofers has finally gotten to the point where things are really loose on the low bass passages.

I recently sent an email to AB Tech asking about replacing these, and they quoted me $80 per woofer.

I have been unable to contact Layne Audio to find out about their replacements which seem to be about the same price.

I am a little concerned about the mechanical condition of the woofers. Back when I had the ST-400 they were ridden pretty hard at times, so I suspect that they may not be worth refoaming.

What part of the country are you living in?

1-I would replace the non-stock lower mid ranges with Factory type replacements. Do you have the old mids? If so, send them with the woofers to your repair shop. If not watch eBay or go to AB Tech for a replacement. I wouldget rid of the Layne poly mids.

2-I would send the 10" woofers to a good repair shop like Miller Sound. They will recommend repairs necessary to restore your AR woofers. refoam is probably all that will be needed.

If you have the equipment, check the xover caps to be sure they are within spec. Usually +-10% or so. Good time to do this when the woofers are pulled.

Good luck, Dale in Reno.....

Guest dogmeninreno

>

>I live in New Jersey.

You might want to post the question on this forum as to a good repair shop near you. Several are located back east but Miller Sound, I hear is very good...I don't know where they are located but someone here does I'm sure. Good Luck, Dale

>A couple of years ago I noticed that the 8" middies foam was shot, so I decided to replace them with a polymer come based unit that I got from Layne Audio at their recommendation for a quite reasonable price.<

I replaced my originals with ABTech recommended replacements. They were poly/paper. Compared to nothing they sounded pretty good, but after listening to a friend's speakers with originals, I got a pair of refoamed originals and instantly appreciated the difference. My opinion is that you should go back to originals if you can find some.

>Now it looks like the foam on the woofers has finally gotten to the point where things are really loose on the low bass passages.<

It's impossible for me to know what ABTech is selling for 10" replacements today, but I think I can say with great confidence that they will be enough "different" to substantially change the bass response of your speakers.

I'm basing this on real-world experience with the six Tonegen replacement 12" woofers I bought from ABTech at $129 each comparing them to carefully rebuilt original woofers. It's a pain in the rump, yes. Take it from me, if you just "refoam them" you can easily change their resonance and efficiency and change your speaker system in amazing ways. There is a "major" speaker refoaming company out there that I will never send another speaker. Apparently they are far more concerned about not having to warranty their repairs and so their "foam" is more like rubber. Sounds like it'll last forever, right? Sure, but it sounds like. . . rubber.

>I recently sent an email to AB Tech asking about replacing these, and they quoted me $80 per woofer.<

You can get yours repaired, even if they need complete rebuilding, for no more than that.

>I have been unable to contact Layne Audio to find out about their replacements which seem to be about the same price.<

I sent a pair of 8" lower midranges to Layne Audio for refoaming. I couldn't get anyone on the line to confirm they were there. A year later I couldn't get anyone to send them back to me, repaired or not, or confirm that they still had them. After being assured, multiple times, that either mine or some other repaired units would be sent to me immediately, then being told that he had plenty of them ("awash" was his word) and would send me some immediately. . . I gave-up and bought originals elsewhere. I tried to buy other parts from Layne and eventually gave-up and went elsewhere.

I'm not talking about one or two calls over one or two weeks. We're talking dozens of calls for more than a year.

Obviously, I'm suggesting that you might do better elsewhere. Layne still has my telephone number and my speakers if they'd like to make me less displeased about this all they have to do is what they said they were going to do multiple times, last time about 11 months ago.

>I am a little concerned about the mechanical condition of the woofers. Back when I had the ST-400 they were ridden pretty hard at times, so I suspect that they may not be worth refoaming.<

I understand, but my opinion is that the *right* repair shop can rebuild your units back more-or-less to spec. I suspect the replacements would *not* be as close to spec as a rebuilt unit.

Bret

Guest ehlarson

Thanks for the information. It turns out that I live about 60 miles from Miller Sound, which is apparently a very fortunate circumstance given the strong recommendations I am getting.

*PLEASE* give Bill Miller a call at Millersound (215) 412-7700...he is an expert when it comes to re-foaming and repairing AR drivers. His practical knowledge of the AR-9 and 90 is extensive, and you will not regret chatting him up for his opinions & advice. He'd also be able to evaluate the condition of your original woofers. If you still own the original 8" drivers, consider having them re-foamed, as well.

I'd be hard-pressed to think of a current $1500 loudspeaker that could hold a candle to a properly-functioning AR-90!

Archived