AR-2a

Guest mocdni

I've found that one needs the right tool. The grills are glued on with about 8 dabs of glue around the edge, unscrew the AR logo first because it goees into the cabinet itself. I use a old paint scraper and put a 90 degree bend in the end by putting it in a vise and hammering a clean 1/3 inch bend in the end. then start in a corner of a speaker to free the glue which should be pretty dry by now. Just go slow and be careful . I've heard of some AR speakers where the glue was realy bonded and people have had to use solvent, but this is usually not the case.

I've had luck screwing a small wood screw through the cloth into the fiberboard grill near a corner (where the AR badge was, for example). Then pull straight out with a plier.

Thanks for all the help, I had considered using my table saw with a .032 blade!! But you guys straightend me out. I as a hobby build acoustic mandolins and guitars, Gibson F5 mandolins, and Martin dreadnaught guitar styles. So I had a assortment of tools on hand.I used a very sharp 1" chisel, and was surprised as to how easy the frame came off. I thought I woould find all sorts of problems but much to my amazement all four speakers look to be in excellent shape.

Now the next step is where ,and how to get to the two controls to clean them. These speakers are in unfinished boxes, would walnut veneer be acceptable to cover them with.

This is a first class forum, you guys responded so quickly. 50 years ago I used to be into audio, and then got caught up in commercial two way radio, and the last 20 years Blue grass music! Now I have time to return to one of my loves, good music ,of all kinds on a good audio system .What are your thos on the AR91 spkrs.

Thanks again,

Les

The 91 was a fine speaker, Les - a lot like an AR-3a or an 11, but tall enough to sit directly on the floor. Drivers were essentially those used in the AR-9, so the quality is *there*.

You'll have to access the AR-2a interior through the woofer...it's easily removed & re-fitted. Don't lose the fiberglass stuffing, because it's critical for proper performance.

You could probably veneer your old AR-2's, or even paint them. I'd love to see a vintage AR speaker done up with a first-class automotive finish!

Archived