AR-1Ws - Have a pair from Father's estate

Guest arlinek

Guest arlinek

Well, I guess I'll just plunge in with a message here, not knowing very much about what I'm asking. I'm the Executor of my Dad's estate and he had a pair of the AR-1Ws. I've also just discovered from the pics I took before moving everything out of his house, he also had a pair of Jenssen tweeters (I identified them from a photo I saw here of Tom Tyson's, whom I have left a message for - unless there were copy-cats of those). I would like to know your various opinions of their value, using eBay (sorry!!) as the probable venue, in order to maximize the potential bids. What price range might I expect for the AR-1W pair and the Jenssen tweeters (sold separately)? I would really appreciate some type of ballpark figure or range. I've attached a cpl. of pics; the cabs are in very good condition, but do show scratches if you look close. Thank you for any help. The Ser. #'s are in the 17XXX.

arline

post-101096-1093662677.jpg

post-3-1093662677.jpg

Your Dad's speakers look very nice - isn't there someone in your family who'd appreciate having them? Most eBay buyers want the AR-1 (not the AR-1W) to cannibalize for its Altec midrange driver, so don't expect a fortune. Double-check the name on the tweeters - there's a big difference between "Jensen" and "JansZen", with the latter being the electrostatic tweeter that was often matched with the AR-1W. You might consider selling everything together, as that was quite a set-up in its day, and someone might appreciate it for its historic significance. Probably someone who lives in Korea or Japan.

Guest arlinek

To Ar-pro:

I used the "Jenssen" name erroneously. From the pics I have of Dad's spkrs., the Janszen tweeters that Tom Tyson shows in HIS pics look exactly like the ones Dad also has. Have to find them first in the garage!! Thanks.

arline

To ar_pro:

I've been curious why Korea is a hotbed of vintage hi fi collectors. I sold a pair of Electro Voice 12TRXB speakers a few months ago, and all the interest came from Korea. Can you shed some light on the history/reasons for this?

I think it's got something to do with an Eastern appreciation for artifacts that possess a certain intrinsic quality of "vital principle". Anyone with a recognition of craftsmanship & aesthetics can discern the difference between a vintage AR-3 and a modern speaker system; one looks as if wrought by a man, the other built by a machine. Same thing for electronics - look at how in-demand vintage Marantz & McIntosh equipment is...will a plastic Sony DVD player ever be revered by anyone?

>will a plastic Sony DVD player ever be revered by anyone?<

We can only pray that it won't. Imagine those and their ilk being what the 2000s leave behind for the 2050s.

Bret

Guest Barrydor

>Most eBay buyers

>want the AR-1 (not the AR-1W) to cannibalize for its Altec

>midrange driver, so don't expect a fortune.

I have heard that this Altec driver is valuable enough to part out an AR-1 in order to obtain it

Why does this driver have so much value? What would one use this driver for?

Just curious

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw AR Janszens on eBay today.

I'm new to this wonderful discussion group & web site!

I've had my AR-1 Serial # 07314

for 5 years---

since buying our 1957 home from the origianl owner.

One is a regular speaker in the Living Room.

The other is only the speakers & cover.

It's built-in to our Den bookcase.

The sound is great with Miracord XA100 Western Germany turntable.

Have a problem with the Pilot HF 42 tuner/amp/equalizer? re figuring out the settings and some static when using the radio.

Want to learn more.

Hope to connect them to our other system.

I'm sure I have lots of literature on the AR1.

Just need to find it again. (:>)

Will post some photos if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Archived