KLH Model Fives on ebay LOL

DonT

Look at these KLH model fives on ebay. He claims that they are 100% original LOL. The grill cloth is not even close to being original and they are also missing both KLH tags. He even claims that the shop owner worked for KLH that is how he knows they are "All Original" LOL. If that was the case you would think they would know the difference. I emailed him about these facts and got no response at all. Do not get me wrong they look like they are a nice pair of speakers but they are in no way all original. And when asking top dollar you would think that they would know better LOL.

https://www.ebay.com/…/KLH-Model-5-All-Origin…/202327719446…

Hi DonT - - nice speakers - - I looked at the listing once I saw the sign - - this shop is just down the street from me. Yep, no badges, and I suspect you are correct that KLH never offered this grille material as an option,  but I am far less cynical than you about the advertised representation of these speakers. The listing fully discloses minor flaws in the cabinets, and is also fully transparent about no internal work having been done. And yep, that is a steep price, but that's not exactly the primary issue you have raised here.

The only mention that I would want to clarify is exactly what is the material that was applied to "treat" the woofers, as mentioned on the service order. I have no dog in this race and no reason to want to to explain or defend anyone, but the owner has been in the audio industry in this area for a long time, and from my limited knowledge and exposure to him, his reputation for technical expertise is highly regarded but he's not always the easiest person to deal with, or so I've heard. Having met him before, I have no reason to doubt that he worked at KLH when they were still a prominent manufacturer in Cambridge during the 70's. His company website is attached.

https://www.audioproz.com/AP.php?About_Us

1 hour ago, ra.ra said:

Hi DonT - - nice speakers - - I looked at the listing once I saw the sign - - this shop is just down the street from me. Yep, no badges, and I suspect you are correct that KLH never offered this grille material as an option,  but I am far less cynical than you about the advertised representation of these speakers. The listing fully discloses minor flaws in the cabinets, and is also fully transparent about no internal work having been done. And yep, that is a steep price, but that's not exactly the primary issue you have raised here.

The only mention that I would want to clarify is exactly what is the material that was applied to "treat" the woofers, as mentioned on the service order. I have no dog in this race and no reason to want to to explain or defend anyone, but the owner has been in the audio industry in this area for a long time, and from my limited knowledge and exposure to him, his reputation for technical expertise is highly regarded but he's not always the easiest person to deal with, or so I've heard. Having met him before, I have no reason to doubt that he worked at KLH when they were still a prominent manufacturer in Cambridge during the 70's. His company website is attached.

https://www.audioproz.com/AP.php?About_Us

Yes but those speakers are NOT 100% original when you can see that the grill cloth has been replaced. To me that means he ether truly does not know or he is lying? I pointed out that the grill cloth was not original over a week ago and he ether does not believe me or does not care? Plus the missing badges. I do not see how he can call these 100% original but maybe that is just me?

I did not at first talk about this but he also says ( (One cabinet does have a small chip of veneer missing on the rear corner and right hand side that measures about 1" in length and 3/8" in width) All other sides are Excellent ! and have a deep rich finish that glows.) Now if you call water marks a deep rich finish that Glows I guess that is true also LOL.

3 hours ago, DonT said:

Yes but those speakers are NOT 100% original when you can see that the grill cloth has been replaced. To me that means he ether truly does not know or he is lying? I pointed out that the grill cloth was not original over a week ago and he ether does not believe me or does not care? Plus the missing badges. I do not see how he can call these 100% original but maybe that is just me?

Yes, you're right. I was just trying to be helpful, but I'll butt out and mind my own business.

Archived