AR90 Upper Mid

SteveS

Being the lucky new owner of some AR90's in need of TLC, I think I have already discovered on this site the answers to every question I had originally, plus many, many more.

My thanks go to all of you who work so hard in your free time to answer questions.

My question concerns the AR90 upper midrange driver (200028-0). Both play (I only tested at low levels) but one of them appears to be damaged. At first I thought the black surround (really just the outer edge of the fabric dome) was torn and subsequently repaired with silicon or something.

However, upon closer inspection I found that the surround is instead dented in near the edge. I’ve tried the methods suggested for pulling out woofer dust caps and cones(duct tape, Toasted Almond’s vacuuming) to no avail, as the dented in area is so small (about 5/8” long) that it’s hard to get a grip on it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

New replacement upper mid drivers are available if it can't be repaired. They are black rather than the silver the originals are, but sound and construction wise, they are identical.

Just a note, SimplySpeakers is a little high on the price for their upper mid for the AR90.

Thanks for the feedback. If I need to replace the dented upper-mid with the newer version, should I replace both of them to ensure that they are matched acoustically? (I bought the AR90's for $18.00, so I don't have much invested in these magnificent speakers yet.)

Thanks a bunch for the post RC.

PS. The last time, and only time, that I was in your state, it was because my Dad took us all (Mom and my 2 brothers) in his brand new AMC Gremlin to Springfield, Illinois from Texas — only 856.51 miles one way—with front “bucket” seats, and challenged AC-- in July.

>

>However, upon closer inspection I found that the surround is

>instead dented in near the edge. I’ve tried the methods

>suggested for pulling out woofer dust caps and cones(duct

>tape, Toasted Almond’s vacuuming) to no avail, as the dented

>in area is so small (about 5/8” long) that it’s hard to get a

>grip on it.

>

>Any other suggestions?

>Thanks

>Steve

>

Steve, you might try using a sewing needle -- a small one -- to carefully puncture the dented-in area, and then slowly pull it out. I have done that many times on dust caps and actual tweeter domes, and it always worked well for me. I have not tried to pull out a midrange half-roll surround, so it might not work in those close quarters. A small puncture hole from the needle will make virtually no audible difference. Another problem, however, is that the dented-in area may have developed "memory," or a permanent crease, such that it will be reluctant to be restored to its original shape. I recently pulled out a pushed-in AR-10Pi dome (and it has a pad under the dome to prevent complete flattening), but the wrinkles and creases remained after it was restored. Performance-wise, it measured and sounded exactly the same as the other dome, so the creases (and tiny pin hole) really had no audible effect.

--Tom Tyson

Hello all

If you fix dents a lot, our for the price it would be worth going down to your local thrift store and picking up and old nebulizer for asma. its a small pump that has a tube that can be put on the suction end and used to pull dents with. it works great exept on one mid that had a dent the wrinkles did not come out it had been that way for a long time. there is no dent now but the wrinkles still show. I have adapted small tubes that fit over each dome our use it to grab just the center of the dent. you have to shut off the pump and wait alittle before trying to remove the vacume tube.

Jim

One thing I discovered with my damaged upper mid was that the voice coil had popped out of the magnet groove, it also had a dent in the dome. Just something to look for in yours.

Odly, the first replacement that arrived was assembled wrong, the voice coil wasn't in the groove upon arrival. The second replacement worked perfectly and sounded exactly like its 24 year old companion in the other speaker (at least to my ears).

Archived