STATIC SOUND ON TESTED WOOFERS???

ITCHIJO

GENTLEMAN: QUESTION ON THE TESTING OF OLA WOOFERS THAT NEED TO BE REFOAMED, THE OWNER HAS SAID THE TESTING RESULTS GAVE NOTHING BUT STATIC IN THE TEST. IS THERE A SIGN THAT SAYS TO AVOID THIS PURCHASE, OR IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE TESTED WOOFERS WHERE NOT TESTED USING THE CROSSOVERS??? CORRECT ME PLEASE, IF I AM WRONG!!! SHOULD THE TESTING SHOULD HAVE BEEN USING THE CROSSOVERS, AND NOT JUST HOOKING SPEAKER WIRE FROM HIS RECEIVER TO THE WOOFERS??? THE RESULTS WERE NOT SHOWN AS IN USING A VOLT / OHMS UNIT IN THE TESTING. HE CLAIMS THAT THE TWEETERS WERE SOLD AND MAYBE EVEN THE CROSSOVERS, WHICH I AM NOT SURE. BUT HIS EXPLANATION OF THE SETUP WAS ALL FROM A MATCHED SPEAKERS SET THAT THE CABINETS WERE TRASH. SO!!! I ASK PLEASE OF ANY INPUT YOU CAN GIVE ME TOO DECIDE TO PASS ON THIS OFFER OR NOT. THE WOOFERS ARE AT A DISTANCE TO GET THERE FOR A DEEPER REVIEW. THANKS!!!

You don't need the crossovers to basically get sound out of the woofers. His use of the word "static" indicates he doesn't really know much about HiFi or sound reproduction. What's probably happening is the surrounds are bad and the voice coil is rubbing on the magnet pole piece. That's probably the "static" he hears. The drivers are making sound, however.

It's up to you whether or not to persue the drivers because it's hard to tell exactly what's going on but usually, the surrounds have deteriorated and the rubbing occurs. You may want to talk to him again and see if you can get a more specific description other than just "static".

Doug

Archived